Title: Fukushima Nuclear Cleanup Bogged Down in Bureaucracy, Could Take Decades
Source: Daily Beast
Author: Lennox Samuels
Date: Mar 11, 2013 4:45 AM EDT
[...] Like a growing number of evacuees, plant workers, and ordinary citizens, Monma increasingly distrusts officialdom. Many Japanese say authorities have been incompetent and disorganized, and that they appear to be making it up as they go along—while keeping citizens in the dark.
“As a reconstruction worker, I don’t trust TEPCO and the government,” says Makato Inada. Two years ago he was working at Fukushima Daini, a nuclear plant close to the stricken Daiichi. He agreed to help out at Daiichi, expecting to merely transport materials by car between the two facilities. Instead he worked inside two reactor buildings. Now he lives in temporary housing in Minamisoma with his elderly parents—while his wife and son live far away in Nihonmatsu.
“When I was doing decontamination work, I compared the radiation level on the monitoring post with what was on the dosimeter I always carry,” he says. “It was far lower. I told TEPCO staff, and they said that post was running out of battery. But nobody was buying that.” [...]
“We have been fooled by the government and TEPCO all the time,” Inada says. “They don’t release important information, and there’s not adequate treatment for plant workers, to name a few. We don’t trust them. Nothing has changed in our minds. Even an elementary-school kid knows TEPCO always lies.” [...]
Published: March 11th, 2013 at 11:00 am ET
- Professor in Japan Blasts Gov’t, Tepco: “These are lies, they’re absolutely lies” (VIDEO) July 10, 2012
- Fukushima Worker Tweets: TEPCO told hospitalized chief to step down — “Yoshida is expected to talk about the truth when he finally becomes free” November 28, 2011
- Ex-Fukushima Nuclear Worker: Concern about land subsidence at plant due to pumping up groundwater — “I think Tepco knows” May 6, 2013
- Lies? Top Japan officials and Tepco all now claim Fukushima contamination is staying inside port and not reaching Pacific — Yet Tokyo scientist already revealed 44% of water in port flows out into ocean every day (VIDEOS) September 6, 2013
- “Shocking”: Officials make it mandatory to use Fukushima rice in school lunches December 17, 2012