Title: Plant worker: Radiation injuries during crisis at Japan nuke plant not mishap, files complaint
Author: Mari Yamaguchi
Date: October 31, 2012
[...] The worker gave a rare public account of what happened at the plant during the accident. He spoke to The Associated Press on the condition that he be identified only as Shinichi, his given name.
Shinichi, 46, described a harrowing scene of darkness and fear, wading with headlamps into a flooded basement through steaming radioactive water that felt warm even through workers’ boots. [...]
He said his six-member team was sent to lay electric cables in the basement of the Unit 3 turbine on March 24, 10 days after its reactor building exploded [...] to restore power to pumps to inject cooling water into its overheating spent fuel pool.
[...] the men wore whatever boots were available – only two wore knee-high rubber boots, and four others, including Shinichi, wore short ones. [...]
Seconds after the three workers started going into the basement, the dosimeters began ringing loudly and then went silent, a sign the intended limit was exceeded, though the team’s leader said it must be an error. The three workers in the basement waded through the ankle-deep water to check the wall-mounted switchboard and came back up, saying the water felt warm through their rubber boots. [...]
- TV: Workers say ground under Fukushima plant is cracking and radioactive steam is coming up -- Melted core may be moving out of building (VIDEO)
- Japan Journalist: Gov't source says "I've heard about the steam coming out from the ground, and I am concerned" -- "Some kind of reaction may be occurring underground" writes plant worker
Published: November 1st, 2012 at 2:26 am ET
- 195,000,000 Bq/L of cesium detected in Unit No. 3 turbine building — Basement is filled 10 feet deep with this highly radioactive water — No testing for strontium February 13, 2012
- Report: Contaminated water purposely being pumped into basement of Fukushima reactor’s turbine building July 2, 2013
- First video of groundwater pouring into basement of Fukushima Unit 1 turbine building — Mixes with highly contaminated water from melted down reactors and flows to Pacific Ocean (VIDEO) September 5, 2013
- Highly radioactive water spews from pipe in Fukushima Unit 3 turbine building (PHOTO) October 16, 2012
- Fukushima Daiichi worker dies — Had been preparing cover for Unit No. 3 March 1, 2013