Title: Fukushima plant ‘set to collapse’ from another quake or tsunami
Source: The Australian
Authors: Rick Wallace and Tomohiko Suzuki
Date: March 9, 2013
[...] Several of the workers also said the plant’s No 1 reactor was critically damaged by the quake even before the tsunami hit – a revelation that, if proven, would torpedo Japan’s attempts to swiftly restart its 50 stalled nuclear reactors. [...]
Mr Watanabe said although TEPCO was denying it, he had to admit the plant was damaged by the quake.
“If you ask me officially, it was the tsunami. But as an engineer and someone with a conscience, I can say there’s no doubt the reactors were damaged by the quake,” he said.
Another worker, who was on site when the quake struck, Kazuki Sasaki, said he could see white smoke pouring out of reactor No 1 well before the tsunami arrived. [...]
Japan’s nuclear industry is desperate to avoid admitting the quake crippled the reactor as it would necessitate tough new measures to strengthen the remaining plants. [...]
Published: March 9th, 2013 at 12:22 pm ET
- TV: Fukushima crisis “much more severe than we’re led to believe” — ‘Mind-boggling’ — Small quake could tip over reactors and start it all over again — Japan “selling soul to devil” if they restart nuclear plants (VIDEO) March 31, 2014
- TV: Attempt to stop flow of highly radioactive liquid at Fukushima “in doubt” — AP: Much of it is pouring in trenches going out into Pacific — Experts: Amount entering ocean “increasing by 400 tons daily” — Problem “so severe” it’s consuming nearly all workers at site — Top Plant Official: “Little cause for optimism” (VIDEO) November 14, 2014
- URGENT: Emergency at Fukushima after major M7.4 quake — Workers evacuated as tsunami hits nuke plants — Public told “Please Flee Immediately” — “Cooling systems at reactor FAILED… Fears nuclear waste may leak” — Prime Minister: We must grasp extent of damage — Officials warn of more powerful quakes (VIDEOS) November 21, 2016
- Fukushima Workers: Plant ‘set to collapse’ from another quake or tsunami — “Critically vulnerable… completely fragile” March 9, 2013
- First video of groundwater pouring into basement of Fukushima Unit 1 turbine building — Mixes with highly contaminated water from melted down reactors and flows to Pacific Ocean (VIDEO) September 5, 2013