Oct. 20 — “Residents in the town’s district of Watari also found their Geiger counters going off their scales, which go up to 10 microsieverts per hour”, said Kanna Mitsuta, a Friends of the Earth researcher who participated in a Sept. 14 radiation survey in Fukushima City, 60km from the meltdowns, according to the Deutsche Presse-Agentur.
Can it be ‘Decontaminated’?
Tomoya Yamauchi, professor and radiation expert at Kobe University, said the contamination in the area is so severe that authorities need to remove not only the topsoil but also road surfaces, roofs and concrete walls, reports the DPA.
Mitsuta is concerned that the decontamination effects are only temporary, “Radiation levels drop soon after decontamination work, but whenever it rains, contaminated soil flows into the area from surrounding mountain forests and the levels climb once again.”
What about the reactor that is still releasing radioactive steam? Might that also be why decontamination is not going as planned? From Oct. 18 & 19:
- [intlink id="recriticality-major-japan-paper-reports-on-detection-of-iodine-131-in-tokyo-kawasaki" type="post"]Recriticality? Major Japan paper reports on detection of iodine-131 in Tokyo, Kawasaki[/intlink]
- [intlink id="nuclear-engineer-radioactive-steam-continuously-leaking-out-of-reactor-no-3-its-important-to-recognize-how-serious-damage-is-at-this-reactor-video" type="post"]Nuclear Engineer: Radioactive steam continuously leaking out of Reactor No. 3 — It’s important to recognize how serious damage is at this reactor (VIDEO)[/intlink]
Published: October 22nd, 2011 at 12:09 pm ET
- Mainichi: Decontamination workers not showing up, worried about health — Went from 33 companies down to 2 — Radiation levels persisting — Expected to take much longer November 25, 2011
- Japan Newspaper: Radiation levels rising every month since decontamination in Fukushima district — Gov’t won’t help or even respond — “Are they forcing us to tolerate high radiation?” October 23, 2012
- Mainichi: Worries are growing — Every rainfall brings a new batch of radioactivity — Radiation levels HIGHER after decontamination October 11, 2011
- Paper: Hard to imagine something much more frightening than 5-year-olds marching off to irradiated school playgrounds with Geiger counters strapped to their chests June 11, 2011
- Mainichi reports on “unusual abundance” of persimmons in Watari — One day after Mochizuki’s photo of suspected persimmon mutation October 10, 2011