Sellafield Mox nuclear fuel plant to close, Guardian, August 3, 2011:
The Mox nuclear fuel plant at Sellafield will be closed on Wednesday afternoon [...] as a consequence of the Fukushima incident [...]
Tony Fountain, chief executive of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority:
- “The reason for this [closure] is directly related to the tragic events in Japan [...]“
- He admitted that the plant had suffered “many years of disappointing performance” that has been funded by the taxpayer. He said the key to attempts to save the plant in recent years had been the commitment of Japanese utilities to reusing nuclear fuel, and their support for the UK as a “centre of excellence”. But with the crisis in the Japanese nuclear industry, that route is no longer viable.
- “Tepco [was] destined to take 50% of the plant output and they as owner of the Fukushima plants are clearly facing the most extreme challenges.”
Local MP, Jamie Reed of Labour:
- “It is now absolutely essential that the new Mox plant is brought forward as quickly as possible. The market for Mox fuel exists and is growing, our plutonium disposition strategy relies upon such a facility and the industry requires it.”
- He warned that “gleeful vultures” would seize upon the decision to close the plant and argue against the “critical national need for new Mox plant”.
Published: August 3rd, 2011 at 12:12 pm ET
- Fox News: “All of the stricken reactors and spent fuel pools contain plutonium” March 18, 2011
- Plutonium-238, 239, 240 detected at Fukushima playground on August 15 — TEPCO admits they consider it to be from triple meltdown September 3, 2011
- Japan radiation expert: Plutonium-238 from inside reactors went far from Fukushima after explosions — ‘Misleading’ media said it would stay close by October 31, 2011
- Report: 76 trillion becquerels of Plutonium-239 released from Fukushima — 23,000 times higher than previously announced August 29, 2011
- Japan Times Headline: Machine fell into MOX spent-fuel pool -Tepco — “Highly dangerous mixed oxide fuel” April 14, 2012