AP: Six underground tanks that hold a brew of radioactive and toxic waste at the nation’s most contaminated nuclear site are leaking, federal and state officials said Friday. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said the leaking material poses no immediate risk to public safety or the environment [...] “We received very disturbing news today,” the governor said. “I think that we are going to have a course of new action and that will be vigorously pursued in the next several weeks.”
CNN: Six tanks at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in southeast Washington state are leaking radioactive waste, the governor said Friday, calling the news “disturbing” even as he insisted there are “no immediate health risks.”
NYTimes: One tank was already known to have a leak, but the new revelation caught state officials by surprise, said David Postman, a spokesman for the governor. [...] But Mr. Postman said it was also unclear how long the additional tanks have been leaking.
NBC News: Inslee said [Energy Secretary] Chu told him that evaluation system of the tank levels wasn’t used correctly, raising the prospect that there may be even more leaks. But he said he was told that there was no immediate threat, a point the Energy Department reiterated in a statement Friday evening.
Reuters: Inslee spokeswoman Jaime Smith said the U.S. Department of Energy received data the leaks were occurring but, because it was not analyzed properly, had not immediately been aware of its significance or notified state officials. “One of the frustrating things we have learned is that the Department of Energy had data that the leaks were going on – and had they analyzed it properly it would have told us much sooner that the leaks were occurring,” Smith said.
Watch: TV on U.S. Nuclear Waste Leak: Feds "just trying to figure out exactly what’s going on here" -- "This has a lot of people saying, 'What is going on out at Hanford?'" (VIDEOS)
Published: February 22nd, 2013 at 8:57 pm ET
- “U.S. state on alert after nuclear waste leak” — Governor: “This is most disturbing news”… No ‘immediate’ public health threat #Hanford June 22, 2013
- Washington Governor: No “immediate” health risk from radioactive leak — Could be first of many to come — Going on for years, not weeks? (VIDEO) February 17, 2013
- TV: “Disturbing new development in WIPP radiation leak, surprising words today” — “What went wrong and why, those are some of the questions swirling around” — County official calls it ‘a disaster’ (VIDEOS) February 27, 2014
- CBS News: Mind-boggling mistakes at leaking U.S. nuclear site — “The chances of a catastrophic event are real” -Former Governor (VIDEO) March 3, 2013
- TV: Alarm over “Catastrophic Leak” at US nuclear site — “Emergency response underway” — Surge in radioactive leakage after “essentially blowing a hole” in massive tank containing “deadliest substance on earth” — Former Worker: “I was very shocked to hear it breached that significantly” (VIDEOS) April 20, 2016