Title: DHH Bayou Corne Resident Briefing
Source: Assumption Parish
Date: Dec. 14, 2012
Louisiana State Epidemiologist, Dr. Raoult Ratard: The radioactivity of salad oil is 4,900 picocuries per liter. So then you are going to say, “OK I don’t eat salad anymore, I eat steak.” [...]
Resident: Since we have NORM [radioactive waste] issues on that dome, it’s a concern for us as to what will NORM cause in our community. Will it expose us to a higher rate of cancer?
Ratard: Salad oil, if you ask me looking at that I would say salad oil…
Resident: Salad oil isn’t NORM is it?
Ratard: It’s radioactivity. [...]
Resident: At what levels would you be concerned if it [NORM] was in your neighborhood.
Ratard: I eat salad oil. Obviously my impression is that when I look at, this is not my big area of knowledge. [...] So don’t count on me too much. If I look at that, I would say salad oil.
Resident 2: You didn’t answer his question.
Published: December 14th, 2012 at 4:47 pm ET
- Legal Expert: They applied for permits to dispose of radioactive and other waste in cavern below giant sinkhole… and the material is leaking out (AUDIO) October 2, 2012
- Louisiana Sinkhole: Radioactive waste in cavern may have exceeded radiation limits — Up to 20 cubic feet pumped inside August 11, 2012
- People need to know if radioactive waste is coming up from the ground in area of giant sinkhole -Legal Expert November 27, 2012
- Chemical Expert: Residents will be exposed to extremely dangerous alpha radiation coming from sinkhole — Radioactive dust inhaled after carried by wind, surface water August 28, 2012
- Newspaper: Officials concerned about radioactive material below giant Louisiana sinkhole November 27, 2012