JIJI PRESS, Oct. 16, 2013: NRA Sees TEPCO Steps to Combat Water Leaks Ineffective [...] “Our conclusion is that little effect has been seen” in the TEPCO measures, NRA Commissioner Toyoshi Fuketa said at Tuesday’s meeting of an NRA panel, citing an increase in the levels of radioactive materials in some seawater samples [...] levels of cesium-137 in seawater samples collected between the water intakes for the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors inside the port rose to around 100 becquerels per liter this month from around 10 becquerels between late June and early July, according to TEPCO. “It is reasonable to assume that the total amount of radioactive materials flowing into the sea has risen,” said Masaya Yasui, an emergency response official at the NRA [...]
NHK WORLD, Oct. 15, 2013: TEPCO instructed to look for other possible leaks [...] Japan’s nuclear regulators have instructed the operator of the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant to look into the possibility of contaminated water leaking from an unexpected source. [...] data showed hardly any change in radioactive cesium levels in seawater samples taken from the port at the plant in the past 2 months. [...] NRA Commissioner Toyoshi Fuketa said the data raises doubts about TEPCO’s assumptions. [...] Another expert also pointed out that drainage ditches should be inspected for possible water leaks.
Asahi, Oct. 13, 2013: TEPCO measured 320,000 becquerels of tritium [...] per liter from water sampled from an observation well on Oct. 10 located near a storage tank, from which the leakage of 300 tons of highly contaminated water was discovered in August. [...] highly toxic water left after being used to cool the reactors. It marked the first time that water containing 300,000 or more becquerels of tritium per liter was detected from groundwater sampled from the compound of the Fukushima No. 1 plant.
See also: Fukushima Mystery? TV: Japan expert says radiation levels in ocean too high to be explained by groundwater flow alone -- Must be coming from "other contamination routes" entering Pacific -- "Devastating impact" to come? (VIDEO)
Published: October 16th, 2013 at 2:36 am ET
- Asahi: Radiation levels spike to record high in Fukushima groundwater well nearby ocean — Trench failures to blame, says Tepco — Million times more strontium/beta-ray source than cesium December 14, 2013
- Record Radiation at Fukushima after Vongfong: First tests since Tuesday’s typhoon show radioactive material continues rising near ocean — Officials: We can’t do anything more to stop this, ‘depth and scope’ of contamination flowing out are unknown October 16, 2014
- TV: Worries at Fukushima as radioactive materials found 80+ feet below Unit 4 — Record high contamination in groundwater near Unit 2 (VIDEO) December 21, 2013
- Record levels of radioactive material detected at Fukushima — 600,000 Bq/liter in groundwater — Official: May be seeping from reactors into ocean July 8, 2013
- Tepco: Immediate environmental concern due to radioactive leak at Fukushima plant — ‘Rupture’ allowed contamination to escape — May already be in groundwater April 6, 2013