NHK, Feb. 24, 2014: Japan’s nuclear regulators have criticized the operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant for failing to prevent massive leakage of highly radioactive water. [Tepco] announced last Thursday that 100 tons of water containing record high levels of radioactive substances had overflowed from a storage tank near the No. 4 reactor building.
CNN, Feb. 24, 2014: [...] an estimated 100 metric tons of highly contaminated water flowed over a barrier around a containment tank and is being absorbed into the ground, [TEPCO] said in a statement [...] The leak reported Thursday is one of the largest since TEPCO reported last summer that about 300 tons of radioactive water had leaked from a tank.
Takafumi Anegawa, Tepco: “You may feel that we didn’t do enough, but now we know what the problem is, so we’d like to take control of our safety system as much as possible.”
Commissioner Toyoshi Fuketa, Nuclear Regulation Authority of Japan: “The safety system was supposed to prevent such accidents. But it failed. It’s a very serious problem.”
Reuters, Feb. 13, 2014: Tepco “was taken over by the government in 2012”
Center for Marine and Environmental Radiation, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Feb. 20, 2014: [...] Note- Leak = 12 TBq [12 trillion becquerels of] 90Sr per calc. by K. Buesseler today.
2013 study co-authored by Buesseler: “The total amount of 90Sr released [since start of Fukushima disaster] could range from 90 to 900 TBq”
Published: February 24th, 2014 at 1:30 pm ET
- Anonymous Official: Part of ground to sink beneath Fukushima reactors from ice wall being built — Gov’t: Biggest fear is ground sinkage and buildings being destabilized — Tepco: It will sink up to 16mm, but should be ok — Scientist: “People have lost confidence in Tepco” (AUDIO) May 27, 2014
- Reuters: Crisis deepening at Fukushima nuclear plant; Upgraded to ‘Level 3 Serious Incident’ — Represents a 100-fold increase in “severity of a radiological release” — Tepco says highly radioactive leakage continues, but unknown where from August 21, 2013
- Anonymous Official: Tank at Fukushima may have leaked tons of highly radioactive liquid every day for a month… “We didn’t detect it for as long as 30 days” — Spokesman: Leakage is continuing… Other tanks may be affected August 20, 2013
- NHK: Sinking ground at Fukushima plant may have deformed tank, leading to leak of extremely contaminated water (VIDEO) August 25, 2013
- Tepco: Total estimated cesium release into air is triple amount published 2 months ago July 23, 2012