Title: In growing lawsuit, servicemembers fault TEPCO for radiation-related illnesses
Source: Stars and Stripes
Author: Matthew M. Burke
Date: July 15, 2013
Five months after participating in humanitarian operations for the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami that led to nuclear disaster in Japan, Petty Officer 3rd Class Daniel Hair’s body began to betray him.
He had sharp hip pains, constant scabbing in his nose, back pain, memory loss, severe anxiety and a constant high-pitch ringing in his ears as his immune system began to attack his body. The diagnosis, he said, was a genetic immune system disease, which on X-rays looked to have made his hip joint jagged and his spine arthritic. [...]
Other servicemembers have been diagnosed with leukemia, testicular cancer and thyroid problems or experienced rectal and gynecological bleeding, the lawsuit says. Hair said one of his friends, a fellow USS Ronald Reagan shipmate, was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
Hair said there is no history of the genetic disease in his family and that doctors have told him radiation exposure could have triggered it. [...]
Senior Chief Mike Sebourn [...] said he suffered nose bleeds, headaches and nausea in the immediate aftermath — symptoms consistent with radiation poisoning. Months later, he felt weak in his right arm; excruciating pain followed. He said the command fitness leader in charge of physical training at Atsugi watched as his arm atrophied to about half its size. [...]
Published: July 17th, 2013 at 12:11 pm ET
- Navy Sailors After Fukushima: They’ve got leukemia, testicular cancer, growths… They’ve had surgery to remove brain lesions and lost sight in eye (VIDEO) February 11, 2013
- TV: US sailors having traits associated with radiation poisoning after Japan operation — Bleeding from rectum — Baby with birth defects — Cancer — Thyroid problems (VIDEO) December 29, 2012
- NYTimes: Doctors want ban on thyroid cancer screenings — “A tsunami of thyroid cancer… Stop the diagnosis… We need to actively discourage early detection” — WSJ: Judge rules nuclear reactors causing thyroid cancers — Study: Fukushima-related tumors can spread very fast, must be closely monitored November 7, 2014
- Ex-Chief at Fukushima Daiichi bleeding to brain — Undergoes emergency brain hemorrhage surgery — Already suffering from cancer in esophagus July 30, 2012
- Nakate: Big change in number of child deaths in Fukushima due to illnesses after July 2011 — Death from cardiovascular disease doubled — Cancer and leukemia also increased May 24, 2012