Title: Tons of Oil Still Being Collected from Alabama Beaches
Author: Debbie Williams
Published: January 10, 2013
h/t Stuart Smith
Williams: A morning drive along the beach is routine for Brandan Franklin [chief building and environmental official for Gulf Shores].
Franklin: Just come out monitor the beaches look for new oil that may have washed up.
Williams: Last year almost two million pounds of BP oil was collected from gulf coast beaches. 380 thousand pounds of that came from Alabama.
A quick look at a shell line on West Beach and you can see why. [...]
To give you some idea of how quickly things can change on a cleaned beach, clean up crews were here just a few hours ago this morning but already washing up in the surf, this is what we found [...]
Franklin says it’s up to anyone on the beach to report any oil they find [...]
Published: January 12th, 2013 at 4:02 pm ET
- Dead sea creatures “covering the sand with a sea of red” on California beach; Witnesses: “Bazillions of crab-like things washed ashore… I’ve never seen these before, it’s incredible” — ‘Glow in the dark’ organisms recently stranded nearby; Official: “No one here has ever seen it!” (VIDEO) March 23, 2015
- ABC7: Breaking News — Oil tanker strikes tower of San Francisco’s Bay Bridge (VIDEO & PHOTO) January 7, 2013
- “Weird things” happening on California coast: Previously unknown toxic algae blooms proliferating; Unprecedented mass of oxygen-poor water near shore — TV: Mystery strandings of large squid covered miles and experts baffled… “essentially killing themselves, it’s just really weird” (VIDEO) December 9, 2013
- TV:: ‘Zombie’ starfish found along Pacific coast — Experts: “Much spookier than in past” — Babies “die so quickly… they just disappear” — Change in seawater could have activated deadly pathogen — Worries about creation of ‘superbug’ — Serious ecosystem changes now appearing (VIDEO) September 2, 2014
- TV: Doctors warn about radioactive substances from Fukushima coming to West Coast in 2014 — Consider keeping kids away from beach, perhaps pregnant women as well (VIDEO) October 11, 2013