Title: NRC Fails to Enforce its own Regulation
Source: Fairewinds Energy Education
Date: Dec 23, 2012
At 3:15 in
Nuclear Expert Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds Energy Education: We’re looking at the beams that hold things like the nuclear reactor up or the steam generators and the pressurizer. They’re major structural beams and what they discovered is that in a normal day to day life of [Nebraska's Fort Calhoun nuclear] power plant they’ll hold just fine. But if there’s a pipe break, the stresses and the shaking of the systems are such that those beams inside the containment are likely to fail.
[…] If there had been [an accident] it’s likely the insides of the plant would have shaken to the point the emergency core cooling wouldn’t have worked. [...]
And frankly I was dumbfounded, I mean how can you know about incorrect, incomplete, missing calculations, numerical errors for two decades and not do anything about it? [...]
We started a fundraiser about a month ago trying to get enough money to move forward into 2013 and I’m really gratified by the results. We’re 80% there. We thought wed need about $50,000 to get through 2013 and so far people have donated about $40,000 so we’re really close to our goal. It’s so gratifying to walk down to the mail and get small checks from many people who really care about the message of Fairewinds.
Published: December 23rd, 2012 at 11:32 pm ET
- Gundersen: Cracks found in reactor at NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant (AUDIO) November 12, 2012
- Caldicott: Fukushima disaster the worst thing that’s ever happened — I’ve never seen anything so despicable in decades of being a doctor (AUDIO) February 25, 2013
- Special Edition: Exactly what happened at Fukushima is going on at NJ nuclear plant, except now reactor is in refueling -Gundersen (AUDIO) October 31, 2012
- Gundersen: California reactor likely shut down forever — At least four other US nuke plants in trouble (AUDIO) November 22, 2012
- Fairewinds: Website is under verified DDS attack — Another nuclear expert’s site had similar problems — Both involved with San Onofre issue — “What is the nuke industry hiding?” February 1, 2013