Title: Nuclear Power Special
Source: Coast to Coast AM
Host: John B. Wells
Date: March 23, 2013
At ~35:00 in
Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds’ chief engineer: Since I’ve been talking about Fuksuhima, I got an email that brought me to tears.
It was a woman who was in 10th grade at the time of the [Three Mile Island] accident. She was in chemistry and they were studying radiation and they had a Geiger counter hanging out the window for the entire semester.
They walk into the class at 10:00 in the morning of the accident and the Geiger counter is pegged.
So the teacher goes to phone as a responsible citizen, he calls Governor Thornburgh and tells him, “Look, I’m in Middleburg, I’ve got a pegged Geiger counter here. What should I do?”
Gov. Thornburgh’s office told this high school teacher, “Don’t do anything, we know all about it.”
So they kept the kids in school, and who got evacuated were the parents of the people who worked at the power plant, they all came by and grabbed their kids and got out of there. And the kids that didn’t have the inside scoop wound up staying in that town and got high exposures.
So do I think my country’s going to be any different than the Japanese? No way.
Published: March 24th, 2013 at 2:00 pm ET
- U.S. nuclear worker brought to tears over leaking waste — “I was ready to sell everything and move to the woods” (VIDEO) April 29, 2013
- American Students Featured in Fukushima Propaganda Film: The cherries are delicious — The nuclear power plant has brought us together — “Fukushima is here, unchanged to this day” (VIDEO) September 5, 2012
- Nuclear Engineer: NJ’s Oyster Creek plant was two classification levels from a Fukushima event — People had to be brought in during Sandy to take command of emergency center… That actually happened (AUDIO) November 3, 2012
- Fukushima Farmer: Nuclear is the most terrible thing, people don’t realize how horrible and scary it is — Sending this to future generations is unbelievable — “I don’t want to be their guinea pig” — Mayor evacuated his own kids while trying to get families to stay, this is a significant crime (AUDIO) March 4, 2014
- Japanese musicians film as children play barefoot in elevated radiation levels -Gawker (PHOTOS & VIDEOS) April 30, 2012