Published: April 19th, 2012 at 12:41 pm ET

Title: The Fukushima Nuclear Disaster – One Year Later
Source: Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds Nuclear Expert
Uploaded by: ChrisNolandTV
Upload Date: Apr. 18, 2012

At 39:30 in

We also have samples that indicate in Southern California, we have one sample that also picked up cesium in cedar pollen [...]

We did have someone send us cedar samples that did indicate in South California that we had picked up both cesium-137 and cesium-134. When you find them both together that’s a Fukushima signature.

• Donate to Fairewinds here
  • Learn more about Chris Noland’s film Surviving Japan here

Published: April 19th, 2012 at 12:41 pm ET

1. BREAKING: Fukushima nuclear waste detected along Southern California coast — Highest levels seen anywhere in North America since testing program began — 8.4 Bq/m3 of radioactive cesium measured near beach between Los Angeles and San Diego (VIDEO & MAP) August 25, 2015
  2. US Gov’t: Alaska island “appears to show impacts from Fukushima” — “Significant cesium isotope signature” detected — Scientists anticipate more marine life to be impacted as ocean plume arrives (VIDEO) November 14, 2013
  3. Japan Resident on Tokyo-area Sample: Cesium’s gamma signal so strong, unable to identify other isotopes (VIDEO) May 16, 2012
  4. Uranium-234 detected in Hawaii, Southern California, and Seattle April 9, 2011
  5. Fukushima nuclear waste detected off U.S. West Coast, from California to Canada — “There is definitely offshore Fukushima cesium now” — Test results will not be revealed to public for several weeks (VIDEO) October 17, 2014

43 comments to Gundersen: Cesium-134 and -137 detected in Southern California pollen sample — “When you find them both together that’s a Fukushima signature” (VIDEO)

• I'm guessing those in Southern California might want to find a place where they don't have to breathe Cs-134 or Cs-137.

The writing is on the wall, in the pollen, and "blowing in the wind".

• Sam Sam

More information please on the amount of cesium in the pollen!
    Not good to see it in the pollen as it is traveling locally everywhere.
    What about all those people mowing their lawns?
    I doubt we will get any data on the details of the pollen.
    Keeping us pacified through censorship.

• weeman

I saulate all the workers at Fukushima your bravery and self sacrifice is recognized, the Fukushima 50 should be given Japan's highest civilian award
    Your country and world owe you a great debit, god be with you

• Maybe long past the time for an advisory to mitigate fallout! (understatement)

Who's going to 'pass the buck' on this one? (everybody)

If it's in the pollen, what about our bees? (they will be affected)

The spreading and continued accumulation is becoming more and more apparent as we knew it would. :(

Like a snowball rolling downhill. It will gain in speed and size by the time it reaches the bottom. You might be able to jump out of the way or maybe not. I guess that would be called an 'acceptable risk' by the EPA or NRC.

Of course now, at this point, it's an unavoidable world game changer.

The pro-nuke banana lovers seem sort of quiet lately. To the music theme of COPS. "Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do, when they come for you…". I can only hope for that day.

• Whoopie Whoopie

I missed this from yesterday: "Fukushima breaking news 4/18/12, China Syndrome Fission confirmed from d…: http://youtu.be/6nAUTyNjULg via @youtube

• weeman

It simple
    Before nuclear energy the back ground radiation was at lowest level?
    After nuclear bomb tests was higher
    After Chernobyl it again raised
    After Fukushima it will raise again
    Eventually we are going to go sterile due to radiation levels
    and that will be the end of man
    Prove the theory once a entity has the ability to destroy its self it does,
    Natures safe guard to prevent nature from becoming currupt

• PhilipUpNorth philipupnorth

If you live on the west coast, cesium is in the air you breath, in the water you drink, in that good rich California soil that grows America's vegetables, and in those great California dairy products they are pushing on TV. Every day, you are eating cesium and plutonium, and drinking it in your water. You are breathing it in. It is in the dirt under your feet. Yet you stay and do nothing about it. You aren't mad yet.

• StillJill StillJill

I'm starting to think that there is a stage after 'mad enough yet'.
      I think it's where the caged bird also sings.
      Maturing to the point where one finally learns not to 'die on every hill'. There comes a daily surrender. Not a surrender of death,…rather one of, 'waiting for your next set of 'operating instructions'.

• CB CB

Not sure how to read your comment. Interesting nobody's slapped you yet. I generally enjoy your comments, but not this one. What about the entire North American Continent?

• StillJill StillJill

It's under his feet too CB,….he just is still too busy looking under 'others' shoes. He'll catch up CB! :-)

• CB CB

Ok, I was thinking of you when he said that.

• StillJill StillJill

Yeah,…I believe you CB,….you're THAT way! :-)

Bless you for it too!

But I'm a tough Ol'e broad! :-)

Blood tests are back,….things look pretty bloody GOOD actually! Now my Doctor has to try to find out why I've lost my hair, lost #15, and have an enlarged thyroid,…while the numbers look O.K. The answer is I got radiation sickness BIG time in April, May, and June,….and lesser cases late 2011, early 2012. But what I learned was that my supplements,…our efforts we speak of here,..ARE WORKING!

I now take 10,000iu of Vitamin D-3 everyday. He said that brought my number up from 20 to 70! I was QUITE Vitamin D deficient,…as most folks are these days.

So,….worry LESS about me, K?

I'm an old mustang mare who never took to a saddle,…but I run tirelessly beside the herd night and day! (On a good day, that is!) :-)

• many moons

Glad to hear it StillJill…
              Also enjoyed the imagery…I've never been to western USA, must be beautiful.

• StillJill StillJill

Thanks many moons,….The west really is quite breathtaking! Coming from Chicago and Ohio, at 19 y.o., made it impossible for me to live anywhere not so lovely!

• richard richard

@StillJill..

You are working it hard there.. my thoughts are with you on this. I trully hope you get well soon. I'm concerned that you think it's Rads… do you have a dosimeter ?

A quick note on vitamin D – if it's winter and you are above (north hemi) or below (south hemi) the tropics you will find it difficult to keep up vitamin D. You have to explicity get out in the sun for a while each a day. (up to 45 minutes at the height of winter).

• What-About-The-Kids

Sooooo glad to hear the good news about your lab results! Wonderful news! You are truly one tough wild mustang (we free spirits need to stick together!) ;-)

I believe thyroid issues can cause hair loss and vitamin D deficiencies. I have a friend who grew up in LA not far from the Santa Susanna meltdown and she and her mother both had thyroid cancer. My friend had hers removed and is doing fine 10+ years later. But after Fuku, she was having some female issues, and the doc put her on high doses of Vitamin D and they cleared up! She's feeling great now. :-)

So you are right, too many Vitamin D deficiencies showing up lately (partly due to lack of sunshine here in the PNW), but I'm wondering if anything else might be causing it, like Fuku fallout affecting thyroids, etc.?

• StillJill StillJill

Thanks WATK's!

Yes,…..I think there is a connection. Too many patients showing up deficient, says my Doc.
                The D3 is the best too I am told.

I feel the cesium the last two days,….but this race can be won. Certainly you healthy folks,….if you take all the suggested supp's,….will certainly BUY YOU TIME,…separate you in time and space from the bad stuff, cancer, heart troubles, etc.
                Never before has PRO-ACTIVITY been more rewarding!

• What-About-The-Kids

Thanks for your vote of confidence and sharing all you have learned about being proactive in your own health care, StillJill! You are a gem and much appreciated! xoxo

• mark_eric

It's strange, but on first reading I could have sworn that you said "I'm an old Mustard Seed…" and I thought, "Oh, I get it, how appropriate! Clever too!" The next reply threw me off, and darsh garnet!? I like you're description too, but I now will always think of you as Mustard Seed.

…Upon reflection, perhaps swearing in this case is less appropriate than usual.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Philipupnorth, don't you think you should know what people are doing in actuality before making such broad, sweeping generalizations? I for one am doing everything I can to raise awareness. Please remember when you point the finger at others there are three of them pointing back at you. Just because you aren't aware of everything we're doing here to try to save ourselves and help others doesn't mean it is not occurring.

What would make you make such a statement? And just what do you expect us to do? Light ourselves on fire, go on hunger strikes and chain ourselves to buildings? Why aren't our efforts here enough to pass muster with you?

Sheesh!

• HoTaters HoTaters

Do we all have to leave to make the point? We will have almost NO income whatsoever if we leave here. We'd have to live like refugees and hope someone was merciful enough to take us in. I don't think $440 a month per person for my spouse and me would be sufficient to live on. We're in our 50's so it's not like we can just up and leave. We're hoping & praying we can last until the company pension plan kicks in — then we can consider leaving.

In the meantime, many of us work tirelessly behind the scenes to try to make things happen. Or we work openly in the public arena. Maybe it would help for you to look at the political action forum here and check the archives so that you could see what's actually being done.

I just had to get that off my chest. I thought your statement was very unfair and biased by some unknown thing. No hard feelings, just please be more considerate. If you have something positive to say or positive criticism, something constructive to offer, then please tell us.

Please be more considerate before making blanket statements about others that come off as sounding like character judgments of others.

Things are not always what they seem.

• norbu norbu

Hi Phil in the 2400' mark in the mountains 1.5 hrs from reno. Getting the plan going to get out might take a reading or two on the way out the door… off to NEV high desert.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Bet Gundersen is just revealing the tip-of-the-iceberg, regarding cesium in California.

• many moons

I wonder from where he basis this "20 percent of the fallout landed in Japan, 78 percent in the ocean and 2 percent in the USA and elsewhere…."What are the percentages based on? if it's 2 percent it sounds small…but 2 percent of a ton of plutonium is more than enough to kill everything…for me this is a disturbing set of numbers that really don't declare anything but they in a way sound reassuring…only 2 percent went to the USA and the rest of North America…Not to mention…we have all SEEN the constant releases by the reactors…have these percentages been figured in???
      I hate to say it but it sounds…fishy.

• Arizonan Arizonan

Yes, it would be helpful to have more specific data to back up those percentages. So, if 2000 Bq of I131 in dry weight Del Mar giant sea kelp in April 2011 is only 2% of the fallout….and that's only one isotope…

Also Many Moons you are right – most 'official' data still seems to derive from samples taken last year, especially March and April. What about the depositions worldwide since then?

Love the 'old mustang who never took to a saddle' image, BTW. Reminds me of what an old ranch woman once said to me about running into difficulties of any kind: 'you can only go as fast as the terrain.'

• glowfus

cesium levels in california milk the highest since june '11. 5.6 pico curies per liter, 200% ^ enenews had a article about 50bq/kg. will lead to body tumors. add up all on-going accumulating accumulation plus the ocean plumes that apparently will also be continuous and that 50bq/kg gets closer and closer for californians. now we have fourteen reactors probably melted, so the question is, when does califnia get evacuated?

• HoTaters HoTaters

On what do you base the statement "14 reactors probably melted" (down)?

Glowfus, this isn't just directed toward you. Everyone who is asserting there are 14 un-reported melt downs/ melt throughs needs to take a deep breath & THINK.

Do you think that could happen w/o astronomically high radiation levels all over the Northern Hemisphere? Granted, they are really high.

I just don't think it's possible for that to happen w/o people dropping like flies all over the place — in short order.

IMHO some of us here need to think this through. Maybe more partial melt downs, but not likely there are 14 more melted down or melted through reactors. Not likely.

Think about it. It would be plastered all over the web. Safecast and other groups in Japan would surely have reported it if such a thing had occurred – based on radiation levels.

Can some of us do a little more mental processing before making these kind of statements? Seriously, this can hurt the credibility of people reporting the facts. I'm not talking about pieces which minimalize or trivialize what's happening. Three melt throughs and several spent fuel pools is bad enough.

Do you seriously think people could surivive 17 meltdowns or melt throughs? Japan would be so radioactive every plant in the country would be abandoned, and we'd most likely all be dead already, at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

So (at the risk of ticking some of you off) do you think we could tone down the fear and panic…

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

I don't think anyone understands that there is really nowhere to go. The entire Northern, and probably most of the Southern, hemisphere is affected.

• sufi1337

I was just thinking that it's only a matter of time before the ENTIRE globe is hit with this. I don't get people who say, oh it's only the Northern hemisphere just go to South America. Um no, SA is going to be affected too, even if it's just indirectly for the time being.

Has anyone been here?: http://www.enviroreporter.com

This journalist has a lot of expensive equipment he's using to monitor the situation in CA. He was a guest recently on one of G4's news/culture programs. I think everyone doing this research really needs to put their resources together; you'd get a lot more accomplished that way!!

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Pollen overload.. very concerning. from Couer d' alene Idaho.. symptoms are severe mucus for more than 5 days.. yellow, so bad it is coming out of my eyes.. never had anything like this.. lots of blood in my nose and throat too.. yellow stuff in my eyes makes it difficult to see.. ears popping often, very worried.. but not going to the doctor. I have a strong suspicion our pollen here, in the PNW, is radioactive.. and the medical community is not up to date, so would be a big waste of money to go.. anybody tested any of the pollen up here?