Published: January 16th, 2013 at 6:57 pm ET

Regarding Enformable’s recent report (March 24th, 2011 – Neutron source found 1 mile from Fukushima Daiichi – Maybe from Unit 3 explosion), Fairewind’s chief engineer Arnie Gundersen writes in to ENENews:

Gundersen: The discovery of neutron sources off site means that the Unit 3 fuel was broken by the Unit 3 detonation. I said that 18 months ago, and it looks like the NRC agrees.

See also: "There is spent fuel and pellets and whatever all over the place around the plant" -NRC's Top Man in Japan -- Trying to clean it up, but dose still going to be incredible

Published: January 16th, 2013 at 6:57 pm ET

1. ‘Neutron sources’ found 1 mile from Fukushima plant after 3/11 — “Some fuel may have been injected from that spent fuel pool” January 16, 2013
  2. Japan Diplomat: Concern fuel rods in Unit 4 pool are damaged — “Have they moved”? — Transfer process could go on for decades, not months October 22, 2013
  3. Gundersen on ‘high level’ radiation around Unit 3: “Can’t just be activation products” — This supports my detonation theory September 12, 2012
  4. Gundersen: Everybody’s focused on Unit 4, but structure of Unit 3 thought to be weaker (VIDEO) May 12, 2012
  5. Nuclear Journal on ‘Fukushima Plutonium Effect’: Melting MOX fuel may lead to neutron flux blow-up — ‘Surprisingly’ there’s absolutely no reference data in any scientific literature January 6, 2014

22 comments to Gundersen: “Discovery of neutron sources off site means Unit 3 fuel was broken by Unit 3 detonation” — “I said that 18 months ago, and it looks like the NRC agrees”

• ForwardAssist ForwardAssist

Since fragments were indeed found one mile away from the reactors we can conclude that Gundersen was correct in his earlier assertion that the fragments traveled faster than the speed of sound. There was indeed a detonation rather than a deflagration.

But we all knew that.

• RADS

"[Attention to tap water] Tap water glows blue. A Minamisoma citizen reported emergency. From hearing about, tap water turn to be blow, looks like it’s glowing at the bottom of bathtub. Citizens got worried, called waterworks department of the city government but they declined checking it."

• dosdos dosdos

From what I saw in the video of the explosion, the was a detonation in the MOX triggered by a deflagration shock wave from the hydrogen.

• HoTaters HoTaters

This is going to sound as wierd as can be, but here goes. Around early or mid April, 2011, I was looking at where the water was draining off the roof of my house. The backyard had totally flooded there during the deluge of rain from 3/18 through mid-April, 2011. Maybe I saw this early in May. When I looked at the water hitting the puddle beneath the end of the downspout, it was glowing blue. I just about had a cow, on the spot. Wish I had photographed it. I've never seen anything like it in my life. It was probably right after we had massive thunderstorms here, which some experts here (or in Enenews article?) stated were likely caused by high levels of Krypton 85 in the atmosphere.

To this day I wonder if I was seeing a blue Cesium glow. It was only visible from a certain angle, looking toward the afternoon sunlight. But it was distinctly glowing blue.

Will never be able to explain this. Have gone back into my back yard and checked Beta levels there, and they are about 1 1/2 times higher than anywhere else around the house.

We must have had a HUGE amount of Cesium dumped on us, during those storms. And dopey me, I was checking the NILU forecasts, and thought most of the danger had passed, once the first three weeks were behind us all ….

• HoTaters HoTaters

The down spout from the roof had plugged up with leaves. We weren't able to clean the rain gutters before the post-Fukushima rains began in mid March, 2011. The back yard there got completely flooded out, and the water was just DUMPING off the roof. It was really creepy looking out the living room window and seeing all that water flooding the back yard, knowing it was full of radiation.

Have since covered the area with several inches of sand and rock so I don't have to step on the ground when I'm going to the hose near there. Will never feel totally comfortable back there, again.

• Anthony Anthony

Interesting. I had to grab a friend to witness the oil sheen which came with the rain, out in a field. Perhaps it was a fuel dump somehow from a plane overhead, but in an otherwise pristine grass and mud area is puddles covered with oil sheen. The are no other possible reasons (to my knowledge) and if you could appreciate how random the appearance is, and the area it covers in the field, it must have come down.

Gas or oil right? How can that be.

I wish I had taken a video of the beach in Campbell River which shimmered with radiation within three days of 311, ushered in by a rare local mini-hurricane we had one day. Again lucky for me, a friend and I were walking and I asked her if she saw what I was seeing as we walked. We walked that walk every morning as part of our program together. She described the shimmering around and in front of us, just as I saw with my eyes. It also cast a hue in the general view as you say, looked out at the ocean and horizon as we were. It was sunny and bright day and the seabirds all crouched on the logs like it was raining. I have to say, at least around here, don`t the vegetable and plant mutations seem less in year 2?

• VanneV anne

In March, 2011, after the explosions, my son wanted us to all stay a few days at Rocky Mountain National Park. Se we all went. It snowed. I was hoping that with all the mountains that the radiation wouldn't get so far.

Of course, wiser now, I know that high in the mountains is the worst place to be.

I didn't notice anything then, but at home there was yellow gung ,sticky fine pellets, all over my greenhouses, at least several times after it rained. I don't remember the dates.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Picking with details is a waste, because you're dying. Ill from the radiation. You will die from it. And there isn't one person that can argue this.

• Cisco Cisco

Hey, what's all the fuss about?

"Nuclear Power = No Danger, Even at Fukushima"

A December 2012 article by World Nuclear News states no one, including plant workers, suffered health effects due to radiation from the Fukushima nuclear reactor meltdown accident. Also it appears no health affects from radiation exposures less than 10 rem

A companion article by James Conca published in Forbes on January 11, 2013, states the Linear No Threshold theory on radiation is wrong and annual doses below 10 rem(100 milliSv) are not detrimental to health.

Don't worry, be happy!

• nuknomore nuknomore

I live in the northwest.. Was on line the time the plant blew up. Knew this was bad.
    At the time I had a garden.. Was watching all the news.. Waiting to see how much radiation would reach us.. Knowing some would..
    Of course we were told little did.. At first..
    But I noticed on my plants the leaves had brown marks.. Little brown specks ..The tomatoes had little brown spots.. Mostly the leaves.
    I wondered at the time if this were the fall out..
    But heard nothing..Didn't eat it anyway..
    Now I know it was from the fall out..It had to be radiation burns.. Because I have seen video of those burns on plants that people are showing now..
    The northwest got a whopping dose.. Even if they refuse to admit it.
    Having lived through above ground testing and now finding the Semi valley disaster was only 40 air miles from my childhood home..
    I guess some of us are fortunate we are still alive.. Had normal children..
    But many many of my childhood friends have died of cancer.
    We need to stop being crazy.. This is pandora's box. Why did man ever think he could control this?
    Just unbelievable to me that we still have no clear answers..Only left with guesses.