Fairewinds Podcast, Dec. 9, 2012:
At ~5:00 in
Nuclear Expert Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds Energy Education: There’s another problem down the road, 5 miles down the road, at the Fukushima Daini site. And that one, their Unit 1 there, they experienced a pressure increase inside the containment. No one is quite sure why that happened but it was shortly after the earthquake. So it’s certainly a causal effect. [...]
At ~11:00 in
Gundersen: The tsunami that knocked out the Daiichi cooling pumps also knocked out a lot of the cooling pumps Daini. […]
In particular the pumps that cool Unit 1 were destroyed and the diesels for Unit 1 didn’t work. That implies there has to be core damage at Daini Unit 1.
This is one of the big secrets that Tokyo Electric isn’t talking about, is just how damaged is Fukushima Daini. They should also talk about just how damaged Fukushima Daiichi 5 and 6 are but we’re not hearing that either.
But Daini went for a period of time with no way to cool it. It had no diesels. Because the loss of the ultimate heat sink. And now in this earthquake we see an increase in pressure in the containment. These things are related. […] Let’s not just look at Fukushima Daiichi 1, 2, 3, and 4 we need to look at Fukushima Daiichi 5 and 6, what happened to them. And then the Daini units as well. I think Daini 1 is going to have core damage […]
Published: December 10th, 2012 at 2:23 pm ET
- Reports: “Something may have happened at Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant” after M7.3 quake — Tepco “did not know cause of pressure rise” December 7, 2012
- Kyodo: Fukushima Daini “not so fatally damaged” as Daiichi — Gov’t now making claims of cold shutdown ‘conditions’ at BOTH plants January 12, 2012
- WSJ: Fukushima Daini “still receives lots of radioactive fallout from Fukushima Daiichi” July 4, 2012
- New data shows Fukushima Daini nuke plant prepared to vent steam from all four reactors — Feared that containment vessels might be damaged by pressure August 10, 2011
- AGAIN: Tepco President mentions ‘accident’ at Fukushima *DAINI*, not just Daiichi January 11, 2012