Fairewinds’ Chief Engineer Arnie Gundersen has said previously that Tepco was hiding a crack at Unit 4, though it appears it was not just a crack in the side of the building, but the building’s foundation.
Excerpt from an October 21, 2012 Fairewinds podcast:
Gundersen: There’s a crack in the foundation and Tokyo Electric did a really poor job of trying to Photoshop the crack away.
They literally tried to wipe it out, but a lot of people on the internet could see right through it. [...]
That’s how they tried to fix the problem — Photoshop the crack away instead of trying to fix the problem.
Published: October 22nd, 2012 at 6:25 am ET
- Gundersen: Tepco photoshopped Fukushima Unit 4 image to hide crack (VIDEO) September 23, 2012
- Gundersen: The containment vessel exploded at Fukushima Reactor 2 — “There’s definitely a large crack” (AUDIO) March 11, 2013
- Gundersen: Japan ambassador confirms Fukushima Unit 4 is sinking unevenly — Building “may begin to be tilting” (AUDIO) October 21, 2012
- Gundersen: “The real apocalyptic thing would be an earthquake” at Fukushima — We’ve got to move quickly on Unit 3, it’s by far the worst structurally — Unit 4 a walk in the park comparatively (AUDIO) December 20, 2013
- Richter 7 quake would likely crack, drain, and burn Fukushima Unit 4 fuel pool — “We’d be reliving March 11 all over again” (VIDEO) September 10, 2012