Title: The Games People Play
Source: Fairewinds Energy Education
Date: Jan. 20, 2013
Description: [...] Arnie Gundersen [...] met with the NRC this week concerning his analysis of what went wrong and how the problems were foreseeable. In this podcast, Arnie discusses how the NRC and Southern California Edison deliberately withheld information to make his technical analysis more difficult to accomplish. [...]
Transcript Excerpt at 10:15 in
Nuclear Expert Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds Energy Education: During the hearing the first in command, the chairman, actually fell asleep during the middle of my presentation. His eyes were rolling back and his head was bobbling like a little bobble doll. Then the second in command kept saying, “I’m on the clock. I have to get this resolved really quickly. Are you done giving us information? How much more information are you going to give before I have to make my decision?”
So it was very frustrating. Basically I came away with the conclusion that the NRC basically already made up their mind, and no matter how much new information we brought to the table, we were not going to succeed.
[…] That’s the problem with the NRC and this whole process, the public is designed to be frozen out.
Published: January 21st, 2013 at 6:31 pm ET
- Gundersen: US nuclear plants at risk of ‘flood of biblical proportions’? — “They’re not designed against biblical floods” (AUDIO) January 13, 2013
- Large die-off of Alaska seabirds from disease never found before in state history — Official: It’s super, super common… except it’s first time — Hundreds dead per km²; Continued to wash ashore — ‘Relatively’ natural; Witness: Head flopped backward, appeared to have seizure, then dropped dead (AUDIO) December 12, 2013
- Nuclear Expert: We believe molten fuel already melted through floors of Fukushima reactor buildings, or is still in process of melting through (AUDIO) September 18, 2013
- Tepco Adviser: “Everyone in the world” will be safer if fuel rods transferred from Fukushima Unit 4 — WSJ: Global concern over removal process (VIDEO) November 18, 2013
- “Chilling Testimony”: Expert says public was put in great danger because of errors at California nuclear plant — KPBS: NRC hearing was a Catch 22… Kafkaesque (AUDIO) January 18, 2013