Published: January 15th, 2013 at 1:00 am ET

Title: Repairs at Four Nuclear Reactors Are So Expensive That They Should Not Be Restarted
Source: Fairewinds Energy Education
Date: January 13, 2013

From 13:15 – 20:15

Arnie examines a new proposal by the Department of Energy to melt radioactive scrap metal and reuse it in consumer goods like knives and forks.

• 14:15 Radioactive material from inside a nuclear plant
  • 14:20 Turn radioactive vessels from liability to asset
  • 15:30 Pots, pans, forks, knives, spoons
  • 16:30 Highly radioactive steam generators to be used?
  • 17:15 Reused material can remain in radioactive lumps
  • 19:45 It’s not helping the consumer here to get any radioactive material in their baby spoons

Full program here

Published: January 15th, 2013 at 1:00 am ET

1. Gundersen: US nuclear plants at risk of ‘flood of biblical proportions’? — “They’re not designed against biblical floods” (AUDIO) January 13, 2013
  2. Gundersen: Truly appalling nuclear event in Japan — A lot of people are very, very concerned (AUDIO) January 7, 2013
  3. Gundersen: Gov’t dumping radioactive material into Tokyo Bay — Contaminated seaweed found in area (VIDEO) December 22, 2011
  4. Report: “Fire continues to move toward the radioactive waste” at St. Louis-area landfill — Now 200 feet closer to illegally buried nuclear material — EPA says it’s OK (VIDEO) May 29, 2013
  5. Gundersen: 26 nuclear plants in area where Hurricane Sandy likely to hit — If power lost, only plan is to let spent fuel pools heat up… no generators to pump in water (AUDIO) October 28, 2012

24 comments to Gundersen: U.S. gov’t to allow highly radioactive material from nuclear plants into silverware, other items? (AUDIO)

• Stephengn

I've been trying to get people to look at this for weeks now.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Radioactively contaminated metal be used in consumer products. Your spoon and fork might x-ray your skull. Creepy, to say the least.

• markww markww

If this happens watch for teeth rot and gun rot and other things like tumors and cancers of the head

Markww

• m a x l i

I would expect the hands to be affected as well. Hands have even a longer duration of contact with cutlery while eating. But it will drown in the increasing noise of bodily harm coming from all kinds of sources of radiation and harmful chemicals in our man-made environnment.

The NRA will take care of the "gun rot" ;¬)

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

No,we clean our guns and lock them in safes and keep track of them too closely to let them rot. But if they start making any guns out of radioactive material I'd donate to a fund t re-equip nuke plants with radioactive automatic weapons or to the govt. goons assigned to keep tabs on us here! :) (I do have to wonder how much radiation is emitted from a set of Tritium night sights?!!-especially on a person who carries or is near the weapon all the time?!)

• Ontological Ontological

This is totally unbelievable…Nuclear waste in our food utensils… But then again this is conceived in the minds of fools with no concern for human life or any other life. If I survive the skull cancer these idiots have blessed me with, what is left to live for!!?? I go in 10 days to have nasal and jaw bone removed and reconstructed with a bone sawed outta me leg, another year of even more horrible pain. I am not sure I wish to survive this; I am poor already from mindless money grubbing doctors and their BS test. 60 grand USD in extra expenses only to awaken to more of this nuclear nightmare, maimed and unable to walk…They have made me fly in this nuclear stew of atmosphere, go through airport x ray machines, CAT scans, x rays, MRI/MRA’s and now want to expose me to 30 days of radiation oncology. I’ll bet money the TSA, when I set off all their bells and whistles; will harass me about THAT too!!! They have made certain I cannot afford a radiation detector to protect me from this insanity, I am doomed…

• lam335 lam335

And then there's all that radioactive scrap metal in the piles of destroyed cars that line Fukushima's countryside. How long until that stuff makes it to the market?

• datura17

I bet they use this for a smokescreen every time there is something they dont want anyone to notice.

• ftlt

And you think, we have a government of the people anymore?????

OCCUPY!!!!!

• * "The zipper on your crotch…"

They've been doing this for a long time.

"There are more than 1,577,000 metric tons of irradiated scrap metal available. The metal comes from decommissioned nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons and the oil and gas industries, for the most part, and tons of steel from buildings that contained radioactive substances is also part of the "hot metal" scrap."

"In 1997, the NRC and the DOE established the National Center of Excellence for Metal Recycling."
    (what a great name)

"The Association of Radioactive Metal Recyclers (ARMR) was formed in 1995 and is based in Knoxville, Tennessee."

"In years past, a lot of material went out of these facilities that wouldn't meet commercial-world standards," says Michael Mobley

* "Think about the metal you come into contact with every day. Your IUD, and your bracelets, your silverware, the zipper on your crotch,…" said Diane D'Arrigo, a staff member at the Nuclear Information and Resource Service.

:( It's not good to put a radioactive metal fork from China in your mouth, but you probably have without knowing it.

• wfs wfs

This is where a wearable dosimeter that is designed for consumer and family environments can be worn and constantly read the environment for rogue forks. I dont know. Something to protect end users because obviously the corporate, government and military pencil pushers are only concerned with the bottom line.

• m a x l i

I warmly welcome Edward J. Markey's efforts to draw attention to the matter and to get some answers from the Department of Energy.

At the same time I'm wondering how much will be achieved if a ban on recycling of radioactively contaminated scrap metal into consumer goods (or any goods) will be successfully enforced in one country? The scrap metal will find its way into another country, somewhere in Asia probably, where it will be transformed into consumer goods and thus make its way back to the United States. Result: zero! This seems to be one of the many global problems, that are impossible to be solved on a national level.

In a global economy where companies are essentially profit-making entities, with little regard for environmental sustainability or empathy for human beings and other life-forms, the only way out, that comes to my mind, is to build an international fund to offer a "reward" for the collection and safe storage of contaminated metal that is above the price that could be gained by selling it to any scrap yard.

Where should the money for the fund come from? Confiscate it from all companies that made profits with nuclear energy and from states with military nuclear "applications"!

Oops, I caught myself dreaming. I will slap myself left and right to wake up…

• m a x l i

If it was not a pipe dream, the international-fund idea might even help to bring progress to the question of all nuclear waste (not only contaminated scrap metal) and end all illegal or clandestine dumping. Why would anyone dump barrels of waste at night from a ship when he can get a part of the money back which was taken from him before? It will be interesting to watch how the nuclear industry suddenly remembers in what places all over the world they dumped or dug under hot barrels which they completely had "forgotten" since decades.

• Myme

Is there a petition on this issue that we can circulate, to support Senator Markey's effort? White House petition?

• Wyynd Wyynd

Think we are dealing with simple ignorance. It would be glorious to think aa complex reality is hiding in the strange actions of these people in authority. At best they are all lost to pharmaceutical fantasies and wanderings. Let's make sure the idiots that do these things are the first to benefit…a lifetime supply to their family offspring church and community of radioactive dinner ware!

• Ron

I first heard this plan to allow waste in silverware way back in Bush 1's reign. Remember his bozo VP, Dan Quayle? He proposed it. Also wanted to dump highly contaminated waste in local landfills. Tried to find information about it a couple of years ago on the web but there was nothing, like it had been removed. Don't know if that's still the case.

• beamofthewave

He should put in a petition against it on the White house website. Someone should tell that group that put in the one against the Westboro church.