Fairewinds chief engineer Arnie Gundersen interviewed by Common Dreams, Dec. 6, 2013: “All radiation is unsafe […] There is no non-harmful level. […] The faucet is still on. The Pacific is still becoming more contaminated […] This is not a one time wave that washes the shore and goes away. Fukushima is continuing to pollute the ocean.”
Fairewinds chief engineer Arnie Gundersen interviewed on KPFA’s Living Room, Sept. 6, 2013: (at 54:00 in): Within about a year it will be on the West Coast of America. But it’s not like it’s going to end — because Fukushima is still pumping in radioactive isotopes. So it’s not a, “Well, it’s going to occur for a week so we can all go home and not eat fish for a week.” This is a continuing contamination of the Pacific Ocean.
A study published earlier this year (V. Rossi et al. 2013) estimated that the radioactive plume would linger off California’s coast for 10 years. Yet, the researchers model is based upon releases from Fukushima ending just a month after the disaster began in March 2011 — meaning it does not account for the 400 tons of radioactive water flowing into the Pacific from the plant each day.
Published: December 7th, 2013 at 2:32 pm ET
- Gundersen: Radioactive plume to impact West Coast in a year — Not going away after it hits… likely to only get stronger — Fukushima will keep releasing contamination for years to come — Must demand officials test fish and make data public (AUDIO) August 27, 2013
- Experts: Fukushima plume headed to West Coast isn’t just going to pass by like smoke, plant continues to spew into ocean; Pacific to be full of contamination, it’s a gigantic experiment — Host: Amazing how many people are in denial (VIDEO) November 15, 2013
- Former US Gov’t Official: Growing likelihood Fukushima reactors will be entombed — Nuclear ‘sacrifice zone’ where they can only try to reduce contamination from escaping — Unprecedented situation, it’s flowing into Pacific Ocean continually adding to plume soon to hit West Coast (AUDIO) April 4, 2014
- Senior Scientist: Fukushima is not under control; It has ‘alarm bells’ going off on West Coast — Former Official: I’m humiliated Japan lies to world about how much contamination is entering Pacific; Nuclear material “polluting ocean more and more” (AUDIO) June 4, 2014
- Senior Scientist: Plume of Fukushima nuclear material from initial releases to reach U.S. West Coast before August 2014 — Will continue for years as contamination never stopped flowing into ocean (AUDIO) August 9, 2013