Follow-up to: Tepco releases labeled image indicating location of No. 3 Spent Fuel Pool (PHOTO) which noted “what appears to be a whitish haze” in the location above the spent fuel pool.
According to an email from Fairewinds nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen:
Yes, the white haze is water evaporating off the SFP. There is a 1/3 core off load of hot nuclear fuel in the U3 SFP, so there is a lot of decay heat. That’s why U3 is almost as dangerous as U4.
Published: July 12th, 2012 at 11:50 am ET
- Gundersen: Damage to Fukushima Unit 3 fuel racks could be from prompt moderated criticality, not objects falling in pool — What does Tepco know that they haven’t yet shown photos of? December 21, 2012
- Gundersen: Extensive damage in Fukushima Unit 3 spent fuel pool (VIDEO) September 3, 2012
- Japan Times Headline: Machine fell into MOX spent-fuel pool -Tepco — “Highly dangerous mixed oxide fuel” April 14, 2012
- Tepco concerned about liner of No. 3 Spent Fuel Pool at Fukushima plant? (PHOTOS) December 19, 2012
- Watch: Empty spaces seen in Fukushima Unit 3 spent fuel racks — “Would ordinarily hold spent fuel” -Asahi (VIDEO & PHOTOS) October 16, 2012