Gundersen: White haze in photo of Unit 3 is coming from spent fuel pool — Almost as dangerous as Unit 4 (PHOTOS)
Follow-up to: Tepco releases labeled image indicating location of No. 3 Spent Fuel Pool (PHOTO) which noted “what appears to be a whitish haze” in the location above the spent fuel pool.
According to an email from Fairewinds nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen:
Yes, the white haze is water evaporating off the SFP. There is a 1/3 core off load of hot nuclear fuel in the U3 SFP, so there is a lot of decay heat. That’s why U3 is almost as dangerous as U4.
- Gundersen: Damage to Fukushima Unit 3 fuel racks could be from prompt moderated criticality, not objects falling in pool — What does Tepco know that they haven’t yet shown photos of? December 21, 2012
- Gundersen: Extensive damage in Fukushima Unit 3 spent fuel pool (VIDEO) September 3, 2012
- Gundersen: I think plutonium being reported around Fukushima is raw, unoxidized pieces of nuclear rods that were blown out from Unit 3′s spent fuel pool August 22, 2012
- New images of Unit 3 fuel pool show debris near surface, possibly in danger of falling inside — Tepco investigating “condition of steel members partially immersed in pool” (PHOTOS) September 13, 2012
- Tepco concerned about liner of No. 3 Spent Fuel Pool at Fukushima plant? (PHOTOS) December 19, 2012