Title: Nine Mile Point Unit 1 shuts down
Source: The Post-Standard
Author: Debra J. Groom
Date: July 17, 2012
Officials with Constellation Energy Nuclear Group, the plant’s owner, originally thought the turbine that spins to make electricity had tripped. But the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said late Tuesday the shutdown was due to a high neutron flux in the plant’s reactor.
The cause of the condition is still under review.
Title: Four U.S. power reactors shut & NYC sweats during heat wave
Date: July 18, 2012
Constellation Nuclear Energy Group’s 630-megawatt Nine Mile Point 1 nuclear reactor in New York automatically shut on Tuesday due to high neutron flux — meaning neutrons are not equally spread around the reactor core.
Title: NRC: Event Notification Report for July 18, 2012
Source: Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Date: July 18, 2012
Facility: NINE MILE POINT
Region: 1 State: NY
Event Date: 07/17/2012
Event Time: 11:18 [EDT]
AUTOMATIC REACTOR SCRAM DUE TO HIGH NEUTRON FLUX
“On July 17 2012, at 1118 [EDT], Nine Mile Point Unit 1 experienced an automatic reactor scram due to high neutron flux as measured by the Average Power Range Monitoring system. The cause is currently under investigation.
Published: July 18th, 2012 at 2:51 pm ET
- TV: Problem during reactor restart process at New York nuclear plant damaged by Sandy November 6, 2012
- Gov’t: Shutdown at U.S. nuclear plant after 10 control rods accidentally fall into reactor core — Caused by ‘smoldering’ event, Fire Brigade on scene — Incident of this type could lead to overheating, potentially resulting in ‘supercriticality’ — Official: No ‘immediate’ concern (VIDEO) December 7, 2015
- Fire at New York nuclear plant burns for hours — Outside firefighters called in to help — Reactor goes into shutdown November 12, 2012
- Now 5 Nuke Plants with Problems from Sandy: New Jersey’s Salem reactor shuts down as water pumps “not available” — Trouble with both units at New York’s 9 Mile Point — Also Oyster Creek, Indian Point, Limerick October 30, 2012
- Update: Emergency shutdown after water level inside NY reactor dropped — NRC: Cause unknown; Recovery procedures in effect November 6, 2012