URGENT: SDF choppers unable to drop water on nuke reactor due to radiation, Kyodo, March 16, 2011:
The Self-Defense Forces will not conduct a planned operation Wednesday to drop water from helicopters on the troubled No. 3 reactor of the Fukushima nuclear power plant because of the high radiation level around the plant, Defense Ministry officials said.
SDF gives up on dousing No.3 reactor, NHK, March 16, 2011 at 5:06 am EST:
Japan’s Self-Defense Forces have postponed a mission to dump water by helicopter on the No.3 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, because radiation above the facility has climbed too high for such work.
White plumes started rising from the reactor on Wednesday morning. Tokyo Electric Power Company says the vapor was steam caused by water evaporating from the reactor’s storage pool for spent fuel rods, which is heating up.
In an effort to avert the fuel rods’ exposure, a Self Defense Force CH47 helicopter took off from the Sendai base hauling a large container of water on Wednesday afternoon.
But the plan was aborted after radiation levels above the plant were found to have largely exceeded 50 millisieverts — the maximum permissible for SDF personnel on a mission.
Published: March 16th, 2011 at 7:23 am ET
- TV: “Barrier is not holding” at Fukushima plant — All efforts have failed to stop very high levels of radioactive materials flowing into ocean — Officials: More water’s coming in than we were pumping out — Workers now trying to prevent overflow (VIDEO) November 19, 2014
- NHK Special: Extremely toxic water 4,000,000 times gov’t limit in trenches between Fukushima reactors and ocean — Experts: “Source of contamination for Pacific” — “Levels too high for them to get more precise look at situation” — Reporter: Plutonium leaked out after fuel rods damaged (VIDEO) April 18, 2014
- Japan TV: Injecting water into Fukushima reactor accelerated meltdown — Nuclear fuel rods had “reaction generating large amounts of heat” — ‘Restricted’ Data: Monitoring post measured nearly 1,000,000 microSv/hr; Within hours radiation dose spiked 30,000% far away from plant (VIDEO) August 13, 2014
- NRC 100 hours after quake: We hear radiation levels are up, even in Tokyo — Reports that spent fuel pools 1, 2 and 3 started to boil November 18, 2011
- Fox News: Surging radiation levels in sea around Fukushima plant — Tepco: “High density” of strontium — Expert: ‘Bursts’ of contamination are likely from water entering “pocket of radioactivity” (AUDIO) October 11, 2013