Highest Yet: 512 Sv/hr at Reactor No. 1 — Still reads ‘defective meter’ (CHART)

Published: September 30th, 2011 at 9:43 pm ET

Radiation dose, Unit 1 nuclear power plant Hukushima, atmc.jp, September 30, 2011:

SOURCE: atmc.jp

h/t TheWorldIsBlind

Published: September 30th, 2011 at 9:43 pm ET

1. Highest Yet: 412 sieverts/hr in Reactor No. 1 dry well — Japan says ‘defective meter’ August 18, 2011
  2. Reactor No. 1 dry well meter hits new high at 266 Sv/hour — Japan says ‘defective’ July 6, 2011
  3. Off the Chart: 225 Sieverts per hour at Reactor No. 1 — Highest radiation dose yet measured May 30, 2011
  4. Reactor No. 1 dry well hits 263 Sv/hour — Highest yet recorded June 16, 2011
  5. Highest radiation dose yet at Reactor No. 1 — 204 Sieverts per hour in drywell May 25, 2011

60 comments to Highest Yet: 512 Sv/hr at Reactor No. 1 — Still reads ‘defective meter’ (CHART)

• dosdos dosdos

The levels in the dry well of all three reactors are all claimed to be the readings of defective meters. “Plausible deniability.” Why even publish if the source is claimed to be inaccurate?

• Sickputer

Are you asking the Japanese or Enenews? *;-)

It is what it is…there is published Japanese website data in a graph format despite being labeled with a defective meter.

Radioactive events have occurred that seem to correlate with the graph spikes. So maybe there are measurements. Maybe not.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hi dosdos, we’ve people here on the board saying that a defective meter reads either ‘maxed out’ level continuously or ‘zero’.
      I had the chance to discuss this with a nuclear physicist two weeks ago. He said he wouldn’t think the meter is broken. He said those readings are possible when the fuel “breathes” underneath. The man is a well-known scientist here in Germany, so I tend to believe him more than the tepcoclowns.

It’s damn scary.

• dosdos dosdos

I was referring to the Japanese government when I was questioning reporting data that is labeled questionable, not Enenews.

And a defective meter can read anything, not just max or zero. It depends on the defect. Loss of calibration or intermittent scaling issues can also be a defect. I understand the “breathing” phenomenon (I have a masters in physics and don’t like nuke plants).

What I am calling into question is accepting the data marked as suspect at face value without multiple sensors reaching the same values. It might be accurate, and it’s labeled as defective metering as a ruse, or it might be slightly inaccurate, or it may be garbage readings. Considering what has gone on within the three units, you can’t just assume that the meters are accurate. The heat and radiation take their toll on sensors, especially in an event like a meltdown.

I’m not saying that there is no call for concern, far from it. I’ve been one to point out issues that others overlook in the Fukushima incident, and have seen a lot of my discussions become headline news a few days later. I’ve done everything I can to make TEPCO suffer as much as possible. I’m just saying that without supporting evidence, you need to take readings marked as suspect with a grain of salt. So find the supporting evidence…..

• These readings are EXACTLY what we should expect from all of the other evidence that we have seen. There is no logical or scientifically supported reason why this type of false reading would occur in this way. The repeated vacillation of the meters close to the place where the corium melted through (that would be the Dry Well meters) is to be expected. The mass of melted fuel cools as it goes into a less-ideal shape for chain reaction. This causes less fuel to be reacting due to the amounts of water, fuel, and other metal, debris, etc in the mass. When a quake aftershock (or explosion?) happens, or when something shifts position in the collapsing debris piles, the fuel gets into a better shape, with more water in contact, and the heat and radiation both rise until melting (hopefully) causes the corium to get back into a less reactive shape/coniguration. This is very simplified and the process involves the behavior of nuclear materials themselves as well as the shape and composition of the melted corium blob, but this behavior would not likely indicate a faulty meter.

• James Tekton James Tekton

Yeah, same here.

Highest reading yet!

After yesterdays rainstorm, here is the report.

What it now becomes about for us is our own situation and our part of the world. We can only pray for Japan, but this is what is happening in the Durango, CO area.

Today it rained briefly, a good shower it was. Got everything good and wetted and after it was done, we went out to get a rain sample on a blue paper towel.

Brought it in to put into a zip lock baggie post haste and after washing up and making a cleared area on the freezer, we placed the counter on the towel and wowie-ka-powie! Watch what happens next. It goes off like a fast striking trout headed to the moon.

After the ten minute count, we ended up with a measurement of 529.9 CPM. What the heck! was the gasp that crept up. And yeah, it may very well be radon, but this much every time it rains now and this is normal?

Actually, what is normal??

We took a reading after this and it was 499, or 49.9 CPM.

So, we are getting a little better at documenting for posterity purposes. If any of you good folks out there have some positivity to offer, now’s the time to share your best thoughts around this. Thank you in advance for doing so.

Pictures:

• TheWorldIsBlind

oh…my…

it rained so hard in my town today
      i’ve never seen it rain so hard
      no geiger counter, maybe i should get one…

*the world IS blind*

• Darth

@James Tekton,

I believe there is a uranium mine in your area.

Radon gas is heavier than air so it would not be washed out of the air column.

• Steven Steven

Hi again James, in response to

“If any of you good folks out there have some positivity to offer, now’s the time to share your best thoughts around this.”

I can only suggest that since few if any people here taking readings were doing so prior to the events at Fukushima, we have no trusted data for ‘normal’… which I suspect was already quite high due to all the releases over the decades since they began to exploit nuclear energy, both accidental and deliberate.

What does this mean? Well, I firmly believe we were already in trouble before Fukushima. Exactly what level of trouble is hard to say, but I think that lives were being ruined at pre-Fuku levels on a scale realised by only a few such as Dr Helen Caldicott and Prof Chris Busby.

And now we have this. Can there be any positivity from the new data? Only from the point of view that maybe we are more ‘comfortable’ engaging an increasingly powerful yet familiar enemy, than a new and unknown one… but I suspect this may just be wishful thinking due to the many unknown variables involved in the ongoing Fukushima incident.

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi Steven

I agree with you that we have always been in trouble with these plants, mining, and dangerous experiments, because of people with greed, power, ego, control issues, and people who are playing God.

Fukushima is just the big glob of icing on this cake, that has turned disastrous.

• Toadmac

We are getting the same thing in Melbourne Australia when we get rain from the north?

Watch my other videos as well.

• Steven Steven

Hi Toadmac, I’m across the way a bit in SA mate, disturbing results eh? One thing, just a guess really, about the unexpected arrival here of such high levels of contamination when the standard model predicts limited exposure in the southern hemisphere. (That is, aside from my usual explanation of scale, in which unexpected levels are found in the south due to the scale of the release not yet being appreciated.)

There’s an ocean current that passes near Japan and crosses the equator, circumnavigating Australia. I don’t know much about this stuff but many months along as we are, I’d expect those currents to have transported the massive amount of ocean contamination from Fukushima into our local waters.

From there it seems possible that the natural process of evaporation thence precipitation would visit this obscenity upon us from the sky, just as surely as if we were located north of the equator under the circulating atmospheric contamination.

Just a theory, what say you?

• Toadmac

I like your theory. I cannot answer as to where it is coming from or to what isotopes they are? What I find interesting is the fact that over the four months I have owned my counter, the readings have gone higher and higher as time goes by? Then two weeks ago they started getting really high? Three days ago they doubled again? What is happening? I want an educated scientist to film with so everyone can get a better understanding. Still no reply from anyone I would call a expert!
          Peace.

• Toadmac

Could this poisoning (if that is what it is?) be some kind of culling process put in place (by who knows who?) to depopulate the world slowly but surely? 7000,000,000 people and climbing fast is a sure way to kill our planet! Just thinking out loud…

• Bobby1

If a disinterested alien from another galaxy came here, he would conclude that the world is ruled by a species that is immune to radiation.

The “They Live” scenario is becoming more plausible.

• Steven Steven

“I want an educated scientist to film with so everyone can get a better understanding”

Fair enough too. Sorry I can’t offer more hard facts, but as you infer I think the situation is developing in ways far beyond our ability to fathom.

• Bobby1

Toadmac,

Melbourne Australia is not St. Louis. If you are getting such high readings in the southern part of Australia, it must be much worse than we thought in the northern hemisphere. I am thinking there is some kind of chemical process going on in the upper atmosphere, an interaction with solar flares… the planet has become some kind of radioactive test tube now.

I can’t explain how disturbing your readings are.

• StillJill StillJill

Bobby,…I told Whoopie that I thought it was you who was compiling infant death numbers,…but my memory sucks these days! Was that you friend? With that info for her?

• Bobby1

Joe Mangano and Janette Sherman from the Radiation and Public Health Project are studying infant deaths. I am estimating total deaths in the US (36,508 now). The statistical technique that I use is not good for picking up infant deaths, I would have used some other method to study it. Besides, I don’t have the data for stillbirths and miscarriages which influence the number of babies being born.

• Anthony Anthony

Press Release (Sep 30,2011)
    Detection of Radioactive Materials from Seawater near Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (182nd release)

On March 21, 2011, we conducted sampling, as a part of monitoring of
    surrounding environments, and detected radioactive materials in the
    seawater around the water discharge canal (of the south side) of Fukushima
    Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, which was damaged by the Tohoku-Taiheiyou-
    Oki Earthquake. Therefore, we informed Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency
    (NISA) and the government of Fukushima Prefecture of the results.
    Since March 22, we have conducted seawater sampling surveys at four points
    off the shore of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.

Since April 17, we have also conducted sampling surveys at four points (2
    points have been added since April 26, another 3 points since April 30, and
    another 1 point since May 5, 10 points in total) of 3 km off the shore of
    Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, two points of 8 km off the shore
    of the Power Station and 6 points of 15 km off the shore of the Power
    Station and informed them of evaluation results.
    Also, we added 2 points each 5 and 30 km off the shore since May 27, and 1
    point each 5, 15 and 30 km off the shore since June 2.

The data of three detected nuclides (Iodine-131, Cesium-134 and Cesium-137)
    will be reported as fixed data. Other nuclide figures are to be re-
    evaluated.
    (Previously announced)

On September 29, 2011, we conducted sampling to evaluate the spread of
    radioactive materials to the ocean which were detected at Fukushima Daiichi
    Nuclear Power Station. As a result, radioactive materials were detected as
    shown in the attachment.

Due to the bad weather condition, we did not conduct the samplings at 9
    offshore locations yesterday.

Today, we reported the results to NISA and the government of Fukushima
    Prefecture.

We will continuously conduct the same sampling surveys.

• Anthony Anthony

Diet panel could seek to pin blame in Fukushima disaster

2011/09/30

The Diet will set up a panel effectively authorized to clarify responsibility of key individuals in the Fukushima nuclear disaster, such as former Prime Minister Naoto Kan and executives of Tokyo Electric Power Co.

The investigation committee, designed to verify the causes of this unprecedented nuclear accident from a nonpartisan stance, will be made up of 10 private-sector experts.

It will be able to summon politicians, bureaucrats and TEPCO executives, such as Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata, to testify at the Diet, but only as unsworn witnesses.

The committee will be the first investigation organ of private-sector experts to be set up within the Diet under the Constitution.

Its authority will be endorsed by its governing body, a council of 20 Diet members with parliamentary investigation powers.

The council will be able to call key individuals to give sworn testimony, which means they can be punished if they commit perjury.

• midwestern midwestern

To distract from the ongoing, worsening nuclear nightmare, the Japanese govt. and Tepco are going to put their money, energy, and time into accusations, lying, and cover-ups….instead of evacating their CHILDREN and people, and dedicating every single resource to resolving the monstrosity at Fukushima.

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi midwestern,

Exactly, and all the other govt’s will follow their lead helping with their cover ups in blocking the media from reporting this.

Then, when this radiation comes to their country, they will keep doing the same thing as the Japanese govt.
        When the public start seeing the results of this radiation, other govt’s will also put their money, energy, and time into accusations, lying, and cover-ups.

• “Private sector 4experts” HAHAHAHAHA!!! So they mean the same group of lying talking heads that the media and government get their nuclear BS from are going to get paid AGAIN to tell MORE LIES to protect each other. Talk about the fox guarding the hen house… and WE are the HENS about to get EATEN!

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi Andrew Spagnoli

Look how the gulf was handled, it’s still a mess, the media was blocked, there were officials pointing fingers with accusations, lies about the situation, cover ups, there is still people with health problems who have not gotten help, and so on.

I don’t think this situation with radiation coming in layers after layers will be handled any differently.

• This is beyond the reactor design integrity…

425-450.

I cant remember, the link I will post it later.

• pure water

I tend to believe the data because:
    1. They change and this proves that the device is functional in a way, proper or not, but still working.
    2. If TEPCO wanted, they could place a new device at another comparatively save place to calibrate the data they are receiving. They should be more ignorant than me, if missing to do this.
    3. TEPCO is obliged to give information and is responsible for its accuracy. They are one of the famous dishonest companies in this industry, and when they are forced to tell the truth it is inevitable to put it under doubt.
    And believe what Bred and Butter shared with us.
    Nothing is certain, but logic leads me this way.

• tomb1

“It is beyond the reactor design integrity.”

LMAO. We probably have three melt-throughs. Speaking of reactor design integrity sounds quite amusing in this context.

• OlympicLight OlympicLight

I’d recommend anyone living in the west coast to stay out of the rain as much as possible until (or if) these levels go down. This includes limiting the amount of water to drink, or finding an alternative source to ground water. Start bottling up now before this shit hits the u.s.

• pure water

I agree with some OlympicLight.But it is hard to avoid drinking. If you have no filters at hand, just provide charcoal, mix it with the water and pour it through a napkin. Then drink. A simple advice from a doctor of russin atomic submarine. I have read it recently.

• Whoopie Whoopie

New to me. Some “reasonable” posters here too, until the Cheerleaders hit it
    NO MODERATION! Go get ‘em Enewsers!

• Whoopie Whoopie

A QUICK QUESTION
    Who was it HERE that was keeping track of Infant Deaths (blog) in the US? Memory is not real good. I need it for HP.

• StillJill StillJill

I think it was Bobby1,…but my memory is almost cripplingly poor these days Whoop!

• Whoopie Whoopie

Oh well. I’m sure he’ll be posting soon. Thanks SJ!

• xstatic

How many of these defective meters can 1 company get?How can the readings be getting higher if the fuel has left the building?

• I have to wonder if when News Reporter ran over to Japan to do stories on the Tsunami were the radiation detectors rigged/or not on/or turned to wrong read as to not sound when they were scanning all the reporters from other countries or areas they were reporting from ? Time will tell as all these reports of under estimates of readings !

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

And now it’s back down to 33,6 Sv/h.

• many moons

How does the radiation level fall 500 Sv/h in less than 24hrs? Where is it going?

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

I don’t have the slightest idea.

• Misitu

the fission reaction slows drastically when the moderation (that slows the neutrons down enough to hit other nuclei) disappears – have a look at Tokaimura Incident on Wikipedia for classic example – the moderation can disappear due to heating of the medium around the nuclear stuff – then cooling reinstates moderation enough to create conditions for fission once again. cyclic pattern. somewhat irregular due to the irregular nature of an out of control meltdown blob. hope this helped.

• many moons

Found this for you Woopi here on Ene

Physician Janette Sherman, M.D. and epidemiologist Joseph Mangano published a report Monday highlighting a 35% spike in northwest infant mortality after Japan’s nuclear meltdown.

The report spotlighted data from the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on infant mortality rates in eight northwest cities, including Seattle, in the 10 weeks after Fukushima’s nuclear meltdown. [...]

• shaktasna999

Wow for so many people whining that they think the Japanese government is “right” (Dosdos)I don’t see a single email or letter copied to this group explaining you hold your opinions.

Dosdos did you actually contact the Japanese government in any form?

PureWater-read more. If you have time to post here with loyalty to Tepco then you have a responsibility to investigate them IN FULL. Be loyal 100 to Tepco percent if that is your stance. Do not pick only what comforts you and toss the rest as many seem to be doing.

For those whining about “positivity” GROW UP. Sometimes there are trials in this world. It’s not pretty but there it is. Handle it-stop being in denial and trying to throw people that are trying to save their families off track by making them cater to your emotional states.

If you want to believe everything is peachy-beautiful- you’ll be one less person that I’ll have to worry about when you are choking on your own blood.

But for those that are diligent,perceptive, non-lying,non-whining, and non-deceptive, I will work diligently to make sure they aren’t abandoned by the Tepco butt-kissers.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

“PureWater-read more. If you have time to post here with loyalty to Tepco then you have a responsibility to investigate them IN FULL. Be loyal 100 to Tepco percent if that is your stance.”

Huh? Guess I missed something here.

Can we keep it polite, please? Thank you.

• DrTom

Various observations:
    (1) The detector at FDI drywell #1 does not appear to be failed. The readings are exactly what one could expect – but wouldn’t WANT to see- with a functional detector.
    (2) Radon is not likely to be read in a wipe-down after a rain shower in Colorado.
    (3) Last March I reported (first) that the incident was a level 7 and got grief for scaring people for no reason but there WAS was a reason – it was true. Why anyone would believe TEPCO or the Japanese government to tell the truth is beyond me. They never have until they get caught, and even then they blame defective instruments.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hi DrTom,
      why wouldn’t you expect to see Radon in a wipe-down after it rained? I have no detailed knowledge about Radon whatsoever, but I know that here in Germany we see spikes which are explained as being caused by Radon. Like in this chart on 09/18:

Congratulations btw that you were the FIRST to report Fuku got the level 7 label ;-)

*peace

• Elenin Velikovsky Elenin Velikovsky

B&B…in Colorado, Radon will usually be found in still-air
        basements or ground floor of a stone-building.
        Granites release Radon….they say just a ground vent/fan
        can clear out harmful levels, but old-time rock cabins
        had none of that, sealed up tight for winter.

• Darth

As I mentioned to James Tekton – Radon gas is heavier than air therefore it would not be something that is washed out of the air column, i.e., from 30,000 feet to 6,790 feet in Durango, CO.

They have open pit uranium mines in Australia – uranium dust could be traveling a long ways. Find out where the open pit mines are located and see if wind direction carried it over Melbourne.

• Sky775

Stupid question of the day. What kind of radiation meter even produces readings rather than going to continuous discharge at >500 Sv/hour?

• Hot Tuna Hot Tuna

I’d guess that the meter is always going continuously, but they are just posting one reading per day. In the past they made several adjustments to what was posted previously. I’m sure we only see the minimum that TEPCO is required to post and like the EPA in the US, they are masters of manipulating data. I use the term ‘masters’ very loosely here. I’ve known a few people who worked for the EPA and they are simply forbidden to speak about what they know about lots of issues.

• Misitu

The meter readings are recorded on a tepco spreadsheet and atmc.jp extracts them for the graphs. atmc is a private individual and provides this as a service. the graphs only show the max reading for each day as I recall.

This is about as good as you can get given the situation.

That’s as I recall anyway. Good luck hope this helped.

• americancommntr

One would think the reactor vessel and contents themselves would disintegrate from exposure to this, at some point.

• americancommntr

The Tepco jokers ought to fish a pipe down into that core or whats left of it, and burn an underwater flame of Brown’s Gas and see what happens.