Tokyo Electric Power Company Press Release, January 12, 2015 (Google Translation):
For pumping water groundwater observation hole No.1-12 taken on January 12, cesium 134, cesium 137, cobalt 60 and total beta value is higher as compared with the previous value, the maximum value previously is detected.
- Cesium-134: 140 Bq/L [~7,500% above Jan. 5 level; new record high]
- Cesium-137: 470 Bq/L [~7,500% above Jan. 5 level; new record high]
- Cobalt-60: 1.9 Bq/L [Quadruple previous record high set in 2013]
- β (all beta): 15,000 Bq/L [~6,000% above Jan. 8 level; ~1,300% above previous record high]
Note that observation hole No. 1-12 is near the Unit 2 trench which is filled with thousands of tons of highly radioactive water. Tepco is attempting to seal the trench, but has failed to do so. According to page 2 of Tepco’s presentation to Japan’s Nuclear Regulatory Authority on Dec. 26, 2014 the only part of the trench that has been blocked is right next to No. 1-12 (see map on right).
From Monday: Engineer: Outright failures continue to plague Fukushima plant -- "Public may think worst is over... Nothing could be further from the truth" -- Japan TV: New method failing to stop flow of highly contaminated water -- Experts: 'Diluting' radiation in ocean adds to danger; Spreading it out only makes health damages worse (VIDEO)
Published: January 14th, 2015 at 4:02 pm ET
- Study: Multiple surges of radioactive substances detected far from Fukushima Daiichi — Over 10,000 times usual levels at plant — Mayor: Gov’t knew but never told us, they can’t be trusted — Worst may be yet to come; Risk of ‘much broader’ contamination — CBS: “Many miles away… spike in cesium detected this week” July 17, 2014
- Japan Times: “Radiation has spiked to all-time highs” in ocean off Fukushima plant — Jiji: “Record-high radiation levels have been observed” Tepco says — Officials: “Cause of seawater spike is unknown” May 18, 2014
- Update from NHK: “Record cesium level” in groundwater at Fukushima — 30,000 times higher than nearby well sampled last week — 50 meters from ocean (VIDEO) February 13, 2014
- Record Radiation at Fukushima after Vongfong: First tests since Tuesday’s typhoon show radioactive material continues rising near ocean — Officials: We can’t do anything more to stop this, ‘depth and scope’ of contamination flowing out are unknown October 16, 2014
- Nuclear Expert: US West Coast being continuously exposed to Fukushima radioactive releases, it’s an ongoing tragedy — Marine Chemist: Impossible to stop nuclear waste flowing into ocean; “It never will be… that’s what keeps me up at night” — Radiation levels spiked 1,000% since floods (VIDEOS) September 21, 2015