Title: Hosono urges towns to aid disposal effort
Date: Jan 30, 2012
Nuclear disaster minister Goshi Hosono was one of the few lawmakers who was shown the secret worst-case scenario for the Fukushima crisis, which was buried to avoid “confusing” the public. [...]
The scenario said that the Fukushima No. 1 power plant’s damaged No. 1 reactor would explode again and that the spent-fuel pool on top of the No. 4 reactor would dry up and allow the fuel rods to burn, sending more toxic fallout into the atmosphere.
Hosono claims the worst-case scenario “was not a possibility in fact”.
Yet, according to Kyodo, the scenario “prompted the government to brace for unforeseen trouble, Hosono said. For example, the government sent nine concrete pumping vehicles to the No. 4 reactor so it would not dry up“.
Of the preparations prompted by the worst-case scenario, Hosono said, “It was not wrong to prepare for the worst cases, based on the scenario.”
More from Hosono about the secret worst-case scenario:
- “If it had been made public at the time, it is likely that no one would have remained in Tokyo”
- “It would have caused trouble regarding the government’s handling of the nuclear crisis”
- The scenario was examined by only a few key lawmakers in and was not shared even with the Nuclear Safety Commission “because we wanted to prevent gossip from spreading”
- “We could not even announce the fact that we compiled such a simulation”
- [He] recommended that [Prime Minister Kan] “be prepared for the worst possible scenario, just in case”
Read the report here
Published: January 29th, 2012 at 9:31 pm ET
- UPI: “Fukushima plant is approaching a worst case scenario” — Top Japan Nuclear Official: “This is what we have been fearing” August 22, 2013
- Kyodo: Secret worst scenario was ‘reactor explosion’ at No. 1 and Spent Fuel Pool 4 drying up -Hosono January 6, 2012
- NEWS ADVISORY: “Worst-case scenario” at Fukushima had already been assumed by Japanese gov’t within hours of March 11 quake May 3, 2011
- Analyst: What we have already is the worst case scenario at Fukushima March 15, 2011
- Japan Official: Fukushima contamination “increasingly seen as international problem… lawsuits may be filed overseas” — “Gov’t should take preventive actions based on a worst-case scenario” says S. Korea newspaper August 31, 2013