March 15th, 2011 – Are we still looking at a possible total meltdown and big release?, Enformable, Nov. 17, 2011:
From: Astwood. Heather
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:00 PM
[...] Are we still looking at a possible total meltdown and big release? [...]
March 15th, 2011 – NRC debates INES levels 3 days prior to actual upgrade to Level 5, Enformable, Nov. 17, 2011:
From: Sigmon, Rebecca
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:20 PM
[...] NISA didn’t give much (any) explanation of their [Level 4 INES] rating that I saw, but my impression is that it was based on radiation levels measured at the site boundary and the potential for exposure to the general public.
And that was before things took a decided turn for the worse over the weekend.
At this point I think there’s so much that we don’t know about what’s going on, but I think a final rating of at least a 5 is likely. [...]
INES I don’t think anticipated the common cause effects on multiple units – does the fact that they’re dealing with potential fuel damage at 3 or even 4 different units on the same site affect the rating? It certainly complicates the response.
From: Jones, Cynthia
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:47 PM
I agree with you that its probably a level 5 but told the ExecTeam that Japan had not changed their INES rating nor increased the level despite IRSN and Canadian press indicating that they had. [...]
Published: November 17th, 2011 at 5:29 pm ET
- Reuters: Crisis deepening at Fukushima nuclear plant; Upgraded to ‘Level 3 Serious Incident’ — Represents a 100-fold increase in “severity of a radiological release” — Tepco says highly radioactive leakage continues, but unknown where from August 21, 2013
- Former Leader of Japan: Fukushima disaster is “most severe accident in the history of mankind” — Top Regulator: Drastic steps needed due to growing problems at precarious plant October 28, 2013
- “Just the tip of the iceberg”: Van emitting 110 uSv/hr — Ended up 370 miles from Fukushima in Kobe — “Dangerously radioactive” vehicles must be resold within Japan October 25, 2011
- NBC: US officials “hid concerns… as Fukushima melted’ — CIA told nuclear regulator that blast was hydrogen, experts then noted “no evidence to support” this theory March 11, 2014
- Radiation dose spikes in Ibaraki northeast of Tokyo near time of last night’s 5 intensity quake — Highest level measured since April — Double average January 23, 2012