Radiation high at No.3 reactor pool, NHK, May 10, 2011:
The operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant has detected high levels of radioactive materials in the spent fuel pool of the No.3 reactor at the plant.
Tokyo Electric Power Company examined a water sample from the pool on Sunday. The sample contained 140,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium-134 per cubic centimeter, 150,000 becquerels of cesium-137, and 11,000 becquerels of iodine-131. [...]
TEPCO says these substances may have come from damaged fuel rods in the reactor rather than the damaged spent fuel rods in the pool, because it has detected radioactive iodine, which has a short half-life. Radioactive substances such as iodine are generated during nuclear fission inside a reactor. [...]
Watch the video here.
Normal Iodine-131 level in a spent fuel pool is .01 Becquerel per cubic centimeter or less -Wall Street Journal, April 14, 2011
Iodine-131 can only come from nuclear fission, and because it has a short life, it disappears after about 80 days. In other words, the presence of iodine-131 suggests that the spent fuel has started its own chain reaction without any human intervention. -Arnold Gundersen, speaking about No. 4 spent fuel pool on April 15, 2011
Previous Highs fo Iodine-131:
- No. 2 Spent Fuel Pool: 4,100 becquerels per cubic centimeter -April 19
- No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool: 220 becquerels per cubic centimeter -April 14
Published: May 10th, 2011 at 11:39 am ET
- Japan TV: Temperature in spent fuel pool at No. 4 “much higher than the normal level” — “May be boiling” (VIDEO) April 13, 2011
- Nuclear engineer: Enormous amount of plutonium at No. 4 spent fuel pool in danger of catching fire; Pool is cracked and leaking (VIDEO) April 13, 2011
- Japan Times Headline: Machine fell into MOX spent-fuel pool -Tepco — “Highly dangerous mixed oxide fuel” April 14, 2012
- Nuclear Engineer: Removed fuel assemblies NOT from spent fuel pool (VIDEO) August 31, 2012
- 220 Million Bq/liter of Cesium now in No. 2 Spent Fuel Pool — SFP No. 1, 2, & 3 “clearly have significant spent fuel damage” (VIDEO) August 28, 2011