Title: Japan to fund ice wall to stop reactor leaks
Source: Associated Press
Author: MARI YAMAGUCHI
Date: Sept. 3, 2013
Atsunao Marui, an underground water expert at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, said a frozen wall could be water-tight but is normally intended for use for a couple of years and is not proven for long-term use as planned in the outline. The decommissioning process is expected to take about 40 years.
“We still need a few layers of safety backups in case it fails,” Marui told the Associated Press. “Plus the frozen wall won’t be ready for another two years, which means contaminated water would continue to leak out.”
Marui said additional measures should be taken to stop contaminated water from keep traveling under the seabed during that time and leak further out in the sea.
Published: September 3rd, 2013 at 9:38 pm ET
- ‘The Coming Fallout’: Experts now fear massive reservoir of Fukushima contamination about to reach Pacific Ocean — “Slow, seeping buildup of a second catastrophe” — Workers can’t say when or how they can stop flow August 27, 2013
- Engineer: Outright failures continue to plague Fukushima plant — “Public may think worst is over… Nothing could be further from the truth” — Japan TV: New method failing to stop flow of highly contaminated water — Experts: ‘Diluting’ radiation in ocean adds to danger; Spreading it out only makes health damages worse (VIDEO) January 12, 2015
- Fukushima Mystery? TV: Japan expert says radiation levels in ocean too high to be explained by groundwater flow alone — Must be coming from “other contamination routes” entering Pacific — “Devastating impact” to come? (VIDEO) August 19, 2013
- TV: Japan radiation expert says drastic measures are needed — Radioactive contamination now permanently in ecosystem — Fukushima forests must be cut down asap (VIDEO) March 11, 2013
- TV: Warnings the worst is yet to come at Fukushima — Deep underneath nuclear plant a massive pool of contamination is believed to be heading toward Pacific Ocean (VIDEO) September 20, 2013