Published: August 30th, 2011 at 1:08 pm ET

Survey Finds Radiation Over Wide Area in Japan, Wall Street Journal, August 30, 2011:

The first comprehensive survey of soil contamination from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant showed that 33 locations spread over a wide area have been contaminated with long-lasting radioactive cesium, the government said Tuesday.

The survey of 2,200 locations within a 100-kilometer (62-mile) radius of the crippled plant found that those 33 locations had cesium-137 in excess of 1.48 million becquerels per square meter, the level set by the Soviet Union for forced resettlement after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

Another 132 locations had a combined amount of cesium 137/134 over 555,000 becquerels per square meter, the level at which the Soviet authorities called for voluntary evacuation and imposed a ban on farming.

[...] the latest data point to the possibility that cesium could also be washing away and spreading to other areas, potentially contaminating rivers, lower-lying land and the ocean. [...]

Published: August 30th, 2011 at 1:08 pm ET

1. Tokyo gov’t finds at least 5 times higher cesium levels than Japan gov’t — Over 50,000 Bq/m² near city center (PHOTOS) October 8, 2011
  2. Pasture grass contaminated with cesium above safety standard 200 km from Fukushima plant — Radiation levels are exceeding acceptable safety limits in many locations June 18, 2011
  3. All soil samples taken 60 km from Fukushima plant survey exceed legal limit — Minimum of 326,000 Becquerels per sq. meter July 5, 2011
  4. Tokyo-area soil testing finds radioactivity up to Chernobyl relocation levels — 919,000 Bq/m² (MAP) August 20, 2011
  5. Kyodo: High dosage of cesium similar to Chernobyl evacuation levels found in large city 60 km fom meltdowns — 307,000 Bq/kg in soil on Sept. 14 October 5, 2011

22 comments to Japan gov’t finds 165 locations over wide area with cesium-137 exceeding Chernobyl evacuation levels — Data shows radiation could be “spreading to other areas”

• theonlyjesse

People in these areas obviously aren’t smiling enough.

If they won’t evacuate this dying Nation, At least EXPAND the evacuation zone.

I’m Canadian, but my concern for the Japanese people far outweighs my own concerns for imported goods.

My thoughts are with these poor people daily and nightly, it’s overwhelming.

I’m only 21, so all I know about Chernobyl is what I’ve seen in documentaries, all of which I’ve watched in the last few months.

The Battle of Chernobyl is a must-watch.
    You’ll see many of the same lies.

• mikey

I’m only 21…..

Wow good on u just 21 and u care about others like that can u say good Karma?

• Bob Hardin Bob Hardin

I watched Battle of Chernobyl at your recommendation and you’re right, it’s good.

The Russian government, like the Japanese government, withheld the truth, minimized the seriousness of the consequences, and raised the “acceptable levels” of radioactivity.

One difference: the Russian government mobilized half a million people to work on the cleanup and containment projects.

• theonlyjesse

haha I sure hope it brings me some good karma mikey, that would make my day!

Bob, I feel that Chernobyl was handled far better than Fukushima Daiichi.
        If for no other reason than that six months later, they didn’t try to move people back in as close as 3 Kilometres from the blown to hell nuclear plant, as Japan’s Gov’t wants to do within a few months.

• dpl dpl

the fashion industry should get busy
    and produce some stylish looking hazmat suits for
    all the unhappy people before its too late
    better safe than SORRY

• theypoisonus

our ‘dark humor’ may not sit well with some people,and especially the Japanese.

It is hard to not be cynical, I vascillate from cynical to crying sometimes on the same day.

Now we are up to 100 killometers. It gets larger and larger, and will continue to grow I fear.

I watched some vids on You Tube last night and am even more convinced that this tragedy will just continue with ‘band aids’ applied as there is no way to stop a monster like this, I don’t care how many months/ years they project.

They will continue poisoning, slowly the people of Japan and anyone and everyone downwind and the Pacific Ocean.

On another radiation subject. Keep your eyes out for ‘smart meters’ coming to a home near you, very near, like on your home or apartment building.

• Bob Hardin Bob Hardin

I thought 550,000 Bq/sq meter was the Chernobyl standard for forced evacuation. Can someone straighten me out about this?

• Flapdoodle Flapdoodle

Enenewites are in a unique position, with knowledgeable folks that care. So far, the only corrective action I have seen is a partial “tent” over the (one maybe) reactor.

I suggested this once before on here, but I believe the first thing is to gather hot materials. Perhaps a piece of equipment such as this:
    Either remote controlled or automated with infrared sensing to gather chunks of reactor rods (some blown more than a mile away). It would pick up anything warmer than a raccoon and place it in a container.

I spent much of my life designing and building automated manufacturing equipment. This is doable.

• Whoopie Whoopie

OT
    Reading earlier thread comes this advice from alasanon for OUR LIVERS which must be working OVERTIME these days:
    Milk Thistle, Dandelion & Yellow Dock
    Thanks so much alasanon!!

• Jon_NY Jon_NY

Eat a peach.

Of course, the very fact that Fukushima fruits and vegetables are in stores proves that those fruits and vegetables have passed inspection and are thus deemed safe according to government standards, but there’s always fuhyo higai (hearsay damage), which can be as deadly to commerce as any trace of cesium…
    Since everyone loves peaches, Fukushima farmers are using the fair fruit as the lead product in their Fukushima Shinhatsubai (Fukushima Brand New) campaign to dispel the poisonous hearsay and move some produce. As part of the campaign, junior high school students from the prefecture will spend part of their school trip by giving out hundreds of peaches for free

:lol: :cry:

• PEACHES found with higher than normal radiation back on June 8th, 2011.

“…in Santa Monica market with approximate background of 39 CPM – Two peaches sustained 81 CPM and above or over two times background (208% of site background).”

see article:

If you start to add it all up. Well… it really adds up!

Milk Products,
      Rice,
      Lettuce,
      Peaches,
      Hot Dogs,
      Seaweed,
      Water,
      Air,
      Other UNKNOWN stuff,
      Other STUFF yet to come,

Combined it will most certainly over my “acceptable limit”.

• …and don’t forget the fish and what used to be known as seafood.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Seafood (worst from Fukushima or contaminated marine or freshwater environments waters anywhere, great bioaccumulators of dozens of different radionuclides) is the worst

then, meat and dairy. Remember that cheese is 8x the concentration, minimum usually, of milk. Remember that milk is derived from lymphatic systems and fatty tissues where many nuclear and non-nuclear (toxic chemical) contaminants are stored in high concentrations. Remember that it takes 186,000 gallons of water, likely now contaminated to some small degree at least, to produce one POUND of beef. The silage is indeterminately contaminated, as well. This has to be universally analyzed by the people and the people need to determine what is going to happen next. Not the established government, which is only going to stand in the way of the people.

Potatoes and other starchy, underground veggies (tubers) are the most contaminated non-meat based food.

I’m not certain about the tendencies of leafy veggies. I’ve read in here, but don’t know for sure, that contamination can be washed off. I’m not certain about how much various plant species store radionuclides in their leaf tissues.

I’ve read that beans, seeds and nuts are, perhaps, the safest things to eat; but I definitely need more data.

I have no idea how grains process radiation in the parts that we eat.

• Nukeholio

When they burn the stuff, of course it is going to spread all over, Einstein.

• mikael

I belive its just one option and its highly dangerous.
    They have to seal the surface and drill(hollow out) them self working space under the reactor sites, the equipment is in Japan already, no problem.

They have to take it out and bery it under mountains and I also belive that since the County of the surounding Fukoshima site, is eventualy the only usable plase to deposit radioactive surface soil and debrice.
    Its basicly because its already heavily contaminated.

I belive its the only solution to this catasrofe. The tents just makes the site more contaminated if its sips op from the wery ground its in.

And again, the Japan gov and Tepco is still in denile on the scale of the radioactive fallout.
    I belive Nothern parts of the Island(incl Tokyo) and Hokkaido is doomed, its just a matter of time(winter wind patterns). The spewing of highly radioactive steam is stil ongoing and it even looks like its escalating both the levels and the amount of Isotops.

The futsration over a massive waste of time involved in this. The total lack of seriousness and downplaying is still the dominant tema. Meanwhile the situation on the ground in Japan is getting steadily wurse.

peace

• mikey

Dont forget TOKYO that place will soon be toast becuz all of its water is slightly to heavily contaminated- The bottom of Japan that large rock below may escape more of the nasty ness maybe maybe not