Title: NRA chairman says release of radioactive water into sea is inevitable
Source: Asahi Shimbun
Author: JIN NISHIKAWA
Date: July 25, 2013
The head of Japan’s nuclear watchdog body has acknowledged for the first time that Tokyo Electric Power Co. has no choice but to release radioactive water accumulating at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant into the sea.
“The Fukushima No. 1 plant is filling up with water,” Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority, told a news conference on July 24. “Inevitably the contaminated water will have to be discharged into the sea after TEPCO processes it properly and lowers (its radioactivity levels) below the standards.”
[...] He indicated that the NRA will conduct a long-term investigation to assess the environmental impact of radioactive water discharged into the sea.
[...] The groundwater is mixed with water used to cool the melted fuel, and is accumulating with high radioactive levels at the plant.
Published: July 26th, 2013 at 9:54 am ET
- Hundreds of tons of radioactive water now being intentionally dumped into Pacific at Fukushima plant — Tepco: “We’d like to express our sincere appreciation” — Nuclear water stored since last year to be dumped next week — Official: Tepco “utterly inept” at taking accurate radiation readings (VIDEO) May 21, 2014
- Japan Times: Discharges of Fukushima nuclear material into Pacific “have effectively contaminated the sea” — Melted reactor cores will burn again if water not perpetually poured in — “Tepco proposing some of it be dumped into ocean” May 20, 2013
- AP: Tepco admits radioactive water is flowing into Pacific from Fukushima plant — AFP: Experts warn of effects on humans; “Fears of ocean contamination” July 22, 2013
- CNN Nuclear Expert: Fukushima plant is in ‘uncharted territory’ — Highly radioactive water to either be boiled until it evaporates, or dumped in ocean August 6, 2013
- Bloomberg: Radioactive water from Fukushima reactors to be dumped in Pacific? “It’s obvious they can’t keep storing it forever” April 11, 2013