Reuters, Nov. 7, 2013 — Taro Yamamoto, Upper House lawmaker: The fact that I myself handed over a letter to the Emperor is just because I wanted him to know my personal feelings about the current situation on the ground. In eastern Japan there are children coming down with many health problems and there are people who are working in radioactive conditions who are just being ignored – this is the reality. I just wanted to convey that to him.
CNN, Nov. 7, 2013 (at 2:30 in): Before the triple meltdown, health authorities estimated 1 or 2 in a million children would be diagnosed with thyroid cancer. The government has screened 216,000 Fukushima children, so far 44 have been diagnosed or suspected of having thyroid cancer. But the government has kept the details secret. It normally takes more than 5 years for thyroid cancer symptoms to show after exposure. Its only been 3 since the disaster. Still, some experts say the unexpected high rate may simply be that doctors are looking. But many parents of Fukushima blame the nuclear accident.
Published: November 9th, 2013 at 1:01 am ET
- Lawmaker warns emperor of reality facing Japan: “Children are suffering from health problems” — Another official reveals “the incidence of cancer in children has been increasing” and is heckled (VIDEO) November 2, 2013
- Tokyo Press Conference: Gov’t is committing crimes against humanity; Fukushima children living in war zone and can’t leave — Childhood cancer developing much faster than Chernobyl; Rate now 14 times higher — Parent: “I’m revealing the reality of what’s going on… it’s only way to get rid of the criminals” (VIDEO) August 19, 2014
- BBC Interview: “News about Fukushima… keeps getting worse” — Japan Professor: “Rash of disease” in Fukushima children, rate of cancer in thyroid up to “dozens of times higher than usual” — Expert: Forcible radiation exposure by gov’t (AUDIO) January 1, 2014
- “Shocking how many people died in Fukushima” — Cremated bodies of Fukushima radiation workers found near plant — “Such a high rate of cancer” being detected in Fukushima children (VIDEOS) March 14, 2016
- UPI: ‘Skyrocketing’ cancer cases in Fukushima — AP: ‘Alarming’ cancer rates after nuclear disaster — Times: Child cancers up 5,000% — Radiation doses may be “considerably higher” than estimated — Expert: Cancer outbreak shows officials must now prepare for onset of leukemia, other diseases (VIDEO) October 8, 2015