Title: Fukushima Daiichi: A Chronological Account of the Disaster
Event: Helen Caldicott Foundation Symposium: The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident, Co-Sponsored by Physicians for Social Responsibility
Videographed & Edited by: Intertelemedia, Inc
Translated by: Kazko Kawai, Voices for Lively Spring
Subtitled by: East River Films Inc
Date: March 11, 2013
At 5:00 in
Hiroaki Koide, Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering, Assistant Professor at the Kyoto University Research Institute, Nuclear Waste Management & Safety Expert:
[Melted uranium] soon broke through the bottom of the pressure vessel.
The melted reactor core then fell onto the floor of the nuclear reactor containment vessel, which seals off the radiation and is the last protective wall.
However, the containment vessel continued to break at various spots, one after another.
It lost the protective wall which seals in the radiation. Radiation began to be released into the environment.
Published: March 13th, 2013 at 1:14 pm ET
- NHK News Flash: Meltdown at Fukushima worse than thought — Most of nuclear fuel ‘melted through’ Reactor 3 and “continued down to bottom of outer containment vessel” — “Has changed their understanding of what’s happening inside” (VIDEO) August 6, 2014
- IAEA ***NOT for distribution***: Molten core is suspected to have penetrated Fukushima containment vessel — Prime Minister on 3/11: We couldn’t be in Tokyo if melted fuel went through containment vessel (VIDEO) December 18, 2013
- Japan Nuclear Expert: Simply impossible to remove melted fuel from Fukushima — Corium “has spread all over… could actually have gone through floor of containment vessel” — Only way to deal with these reactors releasing dangerous radiation is to cover in concrete — Will take centuries of work (VIDEO) April 27, 2015
- Japan Times: “Deadly” radiation levels detected outside Fukushima containment vessel — “Details behind situation are unknown” — Officials unable to grasp location of melted nuclear fuel — “Impossible” to plan for decommissioning October 30, 2015
- New images show all melted fuel is “gone” from Fukushima reactor — Experts: Molten core may have reached outer environment, can’t tell if fuel is still contained — Official: “We presume fuel still in containment vessel… but we need to check one day” (PHOTOS & VIDEO) March 20, 2015