Title: Fukushima far from solved, say Abe’s Games critics
Date: September 10, 2013
Fukushima far from solved, say Abe’s Games critics
[...] “Contaminated water has been contained in a 0.3 square-kilometre area of the harbour,” [Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe] added in a question-and-answer session. [...]
Critics at home and abroad say Abe’s gloss on the disaster at Fukushima, where a tsunami swamped cooling systems and sent reactors into meltdown, is bordering on the dishonest.
“I was flabbergasted by Abe’s speech,” said Hiroaki Koide, an associate professor at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute.
“The problem of contaminated water is far from being solved. This problem has been going on all the time since the reactors were destroyed. Contaminated water has been leaking into the ocean ever since.” [...]
Groundwater flows out to sea, taking along anything it has picked up and dumping it in the ocean. [...]
See also: Japan Prime Minister's Fiction vs. Fact: Fukushima contamination has never done any damage to Tokyo; Radioactive water at plant was "blocked" -- Study: Tokyo was contaminated -- Experts: Radioactive water is constantly flowing out to sea and almost impossible to stop
Published: September 10th, 2013 at 12:26 pm ET
- ‘Absurd’: Intentionally dumping Fukushima nuclear material into ocean from land “is not considered dumping” — Allowed under international law? May 14, 2013
- Japan’s Top Nuclear Official: Tepco will never be able to store all the radioactive water at Fukushima plant — They’ll end up dumping it into ocean August 6, 2013
- NYTimes: New concerns Fukushima storage tanks are leaking contamination into Pacific Ocean June 19, 2013
- Record level of radioactive tritium found in ocean near Fukushima plant — Japan Official: Nuclear material may be seeping into harbor June 25, 2013
- Censored Japan gov’t scientist reveals much more radioactive material is leaking into Pacific from Fukushima than claimed by Tepco — It’s getting released outside of port’s barrier, directly into ocean — Officials refused to allow publication of study on sea contamination (PHOTO) September 27, 2013