Published: September 10th, 2013 at 12:26 pm ET

Title: Fukushima far from solved, say Abe’s Games critics
Source: AFP
Date: September 10, 2013

Fukushima far from solved, say Abe’s Games critics

[...] “Contaminated water has been contained in a 0.3 square-kilometre area of the harbour,” [Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe] added in a question-and-answer session. [...]

Critics at home and abroad say Abe’s gloss on the disaster at Fukushima, where a tsunami swamped cooling systems and sent reactors into meltdown, is bordering on the dishonest.

“I was flabbergasted by Abe’s speech,” said Hiroaki Koide, an associate professor at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute.

“The problem of contaminated water is far from being solved. This problem has been going on all the time since the reactors were destroyed. Contaminated water has been leaking into the ocean ever since.” [...]

Groundwater flows out to sea, taking along anything it has picked up and dumping it in the ocean. [...]

See also: Japan Prime Minister's Fiction vs. Fact: Fukushima contamination has never done any damage to Tokyo; Radioactive water at plant was "blocked" -- Study: Tokyo was contaminated -- Experts: Radioactive water is constantly flowing out to sea and almost impossible to stop

Published: September 10th, 2013 at 12:26 pm ET

1. ‘Absurd’: Intentionally dumping Fukushima nuclear material into ocean from land “is not considered dumping” — Allowed under international law? May 14, 2013
  2. Japan’s Top Nuclear Official: Tepco will never be able to store all the radioactive water at Fukushima plant — They’ll end up dumping it into ocean August 6, 2013
  3. NYTimes: New concerns Fukushima storage tanks are leaking contamination into Pacific Ocean June 19, 2013
  4. Record level of radioactive tritium found in ocean near Fukushima plant — Japan Official: Nuclear material may be seeping into harbor June 25, 2013
  5. Censored Japan gov’t scientist reveals much more radioactive material is leaking into Pacific from Fukushima than claimed by Tepco — It’s getting released outside of port’s barrier, directly into ocean — Officials refused to allow publication of study on sea contamination (PHOTO) September 27, 2013

35 comments to Japan Nuclear Expert: I was “flabbergasted” by Olympic speech — Fukushima reactors are actually destroyed and constantly leaking in ocean — Contamination dumping into sea — PM: “It’s contained in 0.3 km² area of harbor”

• norbu norbu

Circus, "It has never done and will never do any damage to Tokyo." Is this statement criminal? Arnie what do you think? Oh right we know what you think and what you have tested.
    So radiation is on restriction, don't you dare leave the harbor or you are in trouble!
    Radiation brothers glowing circus.
    N

• Loveistheonlyrationalact Loveistheonlyrationalact

Please excuse my lack of information. Does anyone have Japan's Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe's, email address?

• jec jec

OH OH me too, Norbu! Tell the fish not to swim out of the harbor, "Abe has spoken…" (sarcasm). AND—if they seal off the harbor how will they transport all the casks full of nuclear material out to dump in the ocean???? This has been documented for close to two years!

Photographic and video evidence shows: 1. workers receive and fill crane-lifted casks over Reactor 3; 2. the long tube like black items are lifted out of Reactor 3; 3. the casks are offloaded by crane to an area to the EAST of Reactor3; 4. the casks are stored in water filled freight steel containers right next to the LARGE ocean going boats in the harbor; 5. the casks are then accessed or lifted out of the water storage by a robot,managed by a worker standing in a "safe" area near the newly created harbor road playing with his handheld; 6. they load a barge via crane , with what looks like those radioactive casks, carefully and lined up flat, not touching—very very neatly; 7. barge leaves to go offshore……So where do the casks go? If they close the harbor—where will they put the casks then? Fill the harbor(sarcasm)!!!

• jec jec

Photographic and video evidence shows: 1. workers receive and fill crane-lifted casks over Reactor 3; 2. the long tube like black items are lifted out of Reactor 3; 3. the casks are offloaded by crane to an area to the EAST of Reactor3(towards the harbor/oceanside); 4. the casks are stored in water filled freight steel containers right next to the LARGE ocean going boats in the harbor; 5. the casks are then accessed or lifted out of the water storage by a robot,managed by a worker standing in a "safe" area near the newly created harbor road playing with his handheld; 6. they load a barge via crane , with what looks like those radioactive casks, carefully and lined up flat, not touching—very very neatly; 7. barge leaves to go offshore……So where do the casks go? If they close the harbor—where will they put the casks then? Fill the harbor(sarcasm)!!!

• m a x l i

Interesting observations!

There is another question: If they seal off the harbour – where will the groundwater flowing into the harbour go?

• We Not They Finally

Don't worry about that. There is not even any 2 + 2 here. It doesn't exist. They can't seal off the harbor; and even if they "theoretically" could, the then plant dissolves into deadly radioactive mush all the faster. Then the water STILL pushes out to the sea.

Don't be distracted by thinking that they actually plan on solving this. It's Just Plan A and Plan G and Plan X. They haven't done one constructive thing from the start. Why begin now?

• newsblackoutUSA newsblackoutUSA

Each time I read through one of these articles I fall deeper into the rabbit hole. I found out that part of Fukushima Daiichi licensing, they were legally allowed to dumped 22Tbq of Tritium into the ocean each year. After the disaster the measurements detected doubled. So, each time I read that a scientist is "flabbergasted" I am equally incredulous. Weren't they concerned about the "routine" dumping?

• We Not They Finally

All NPP's give off SOME tritium. All of them. And that is ALWAYS dangerous. But it's been 70 years now with no effective action to curb the poisoning. But activists still try and that has to be counted as good.

Go google "Secret Nuclear Waste: The Dark Side of Humanity." It's excellent.

• I was 'flabbergasted' and 'blown away' by this statement.

[Critics say.. regarding Abes' comments]
    "is bordering on the dishonest."
    (That statement itself is dishonest.)

I am a critic, but I would call it a bold faced lie!
    _________________________

O.O

Sometimes a cartoon can say more than all the media outlets combined.

Harry's view:

The bird in the cage is wearing a radiation suit and holding a Geiger counter.
    Pretty funny until you think about it. :(

• Sol Man

Sense of humor long time gone.

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

We must all have a little humor once in while! :) Its good for the soul and refreshes our minds..

• or-well or-well

There's a growing sense of crisis
    being watered every day
    by the tears of the defenceless
    who got in Nuclear's way,
    by the children of Fukushima
    who can't go out to play,
    by each uncompensated victim
    of the Nukists who had their say,
    by those who are bearing witness
    to a technology that could Life slay.

• We Not They Finally

Shinzo Abe's comments to the Olympic Committee were "bordering on the dishonest"? Will this Professor get thrown into jail for calling Abe the criminal, pathological, callous mass-murdering liar that he is?

They'd better care more about the genomes of their entire country and then of the world, than that. Once these people face reality, there will be no more reality left to face. But their timidity is inflicting that on US ALL.

• Anthony Anthony

Think ocean contamination is not an issue….
    800 Foot High Deep-Sea Waves Reveal Mechanism For Global Ocean Mixing

Monday, September 9, 2013 14:13

• m a x l i

"bordering on the dishonest"

To describe Abe's harbour-water physics theory like this, is bordering on an understatement, one could say.

…but then oneself would be bordering on the silly.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I'd be flabbergasted if there would still be anyone left(alive)in Tokyo,much less the entire world by the time the Olympics are SUPPOSED to be held in Tokyo! It's sickening that the nuke pukes bought the Olympic Games in order to minimize the reactions those who'd otherwise finally show a shred of common sense in response to the news now leaking out at a much lesser rate than the crap that already ruined an ocean and God knows how much land & life! "IF" I thought there was even a slim chance that there will be any hopes that the Olympics could be held there or that ANY part of Japan would still be inhabitable by then I'd boycott the games just on principal!!! What new games will be in the picture?-the "Tritium Triathlon","Radium Run","Tumor Tossing",Cesium Swimming",Strontium Skiing",will Olympic shooting sports matches include the use of depleted Uranium(DU) ammo?!! I'm so disgusted with everything nuclear and those behind everything that makes me ashamed of being human via the sub-species that we allowed to control our destiny & ensure that there is no future that I hope I die soon BEFORE I'm forced as part of the captive audience to watch this all play out aka "GAMES OVER" :( There isn't anything more threatening & destructive to life than the sub-species responsible for all of this and it hurts me deeply to know that so many good people are or will suffer unduly at their hands and for WHAT?! :( I'm proud of the ENEWSER Group though!…

• We Not They Finally

That's a lot of words but you said it.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

lol,WNTF-I think it was you who responded to my log-winded rant last year that described it as "the longest and most accurate sentence you'd ever seen"?!!lol, Thanks for making me laugh for the 1st time in a long while even if at myself! I guess I try to cram as much as possible into the limited space for replies & especially when I'm wound up about the issue at hand,which is 99% of the time. I'll try to keep things short instead of hijacking the threads when possible though but my typing fingers take on a life of their own sometimes I suppose…I also concur with you on the other points of negativity you made today since ethnicity has no bearing on what constitutes the definition or creation of "nuke pukes" & seems an unwelcome distraction from the real issue at hand. Even if I'd ever thought there was a vague connection between personal bias towards ANY ethnic group-it wouldn't belong here on ENE-we all need to stick together and point our fingers at whom we KNOW is responsible & who to hold accountable now.Damn,I just got the call that my wife's stepdad is taking his last breaths right now & I need to get back there ASAP for them. :( TAKE CARE ALL.

• m a x l i

You forgot the "Fuel Pool Synchronised Glowing", the "Iodine Man", the "Fuel Rod Pole Vault", the "Ice Wall Figure Skating", the "Americium Football" and I am especially looking forward to the "Rat Race".

Nice to have you back (after some pause) Johnny!

• ion jean ion jean

The torch at Opening Ceremonies will be lit by running a broken MOX fuel rod man to man (we'll lose about 50 of them) from Fukushima.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

@maxli;I just noticed your post when I was about to sign out-good ones!lol,your too ion jean! ;) Sometimes the irony of things & despite their dark nature still evokes laughter! Things are so stupid and twisted & being promoted by TPTB that we are "supposed" to take seriously-but they and their actions are laughable! TAKE CARE!

• norbu norbu

JB very funny. I am happy you are here.
      peace and well being
      N

• We Not They Finally

I'm a Jew and I called you anti-Semitic once before just recently. Did you not hear it? You're going to get reported and deleted each and every time. And if you keep it up, I will do my best to get you blasted off of this website entirely.

Germany actually LEARNED something from WWII. (Well, except maybe for YOU?) The Japanese have obviously learned nothing. You're defending the wrong side in the wrong way and in the wrong spirit. You need to STOP.

• SusanS

☢ Fukushima Petitions to Sign & Share! ☢
    ☢ Japan Needs Worldwide Help NOW! ☢

We need a worldwide consortium made up of experts in the field to start brainstorming solutions to what is happening in Fukushima and what can be done to FIX it. We need them NOW. Each country will also need to commit funds to this effort, since it is and will continue to affect the entire planet. The consequences could be the extinction of all life on earth. It is past time to do this. Japan is calling for help and they can not handle it alone.

☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢