Hiroaki Koide, Kyoto University Reactor Research Institute: There are a lot of problems and Tepco and Japanese government state they are going to pick the melted fuel up someday, somehow. I personally think it’s impossible. Because there is no solution, we will have to give it up. We will have to build stone coffin like Chernobyl for reactor 1, 2 and 3. However, at least they must remove the fuel assemblies on the bottom of spent fuel pools somehow before building stone coffin.
Published: October 22nd, 2012 at 1:54 pm ET
- Japan Nuclear Expert: Melted fuel may have gone through cement floor and into ground under Fukushima reactors — I don’t believe Tepco’s claim for one second — Where in the world is it? (VIDEO) August 23, 2012
- Japan Nuclear Expert: Humans must ‘decommission’ Fukushima reactors — Robots can’t do anything basically (VIDEOS) October 23, 2012
- Japan Nuclear Expert: Simply impossible to remove melted fuel from Fukushima — Corium “has spread all over… could actually have gone through floor of containment vessel” — Only way to deal with these reactors releasing dangerous radiation is to cover in concrete — Will take centuries of work (VIDEO) April 27, 2015
- Kyoto U. nuclear professor: Much more serious than I envisioned — We’re in uncharted territory for first time ever since humans started using nuclear power (VIDEO) May 21, 2011
- Japan Nuclear Expert: “Containment vessel continued to break at various spots, one after another” from Fukushima melted fuel — “It lost the protective wall which seals in radiation” (VIDEO) March 13, 2013