Press Conference on Fukushima Daiichi Disaster
May 4, 2012 10:00 am ET
Speaker: Hiroaki Koide, Nuclear Reactor Specialist and Assistant Professor at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute.
Rush Transcript Excerpt
Koide: The story is that Tepco is carrying out [UPDATE: Translation appears to be more like 'has carried out', not 'is carrying out'] reinforcement project to prevent spent fuel pool from falling apart.
However, the status of the work site is so contaminated that it is not a place where workers can work at ease.
I’m worried very much about how far they’ve been able to properly complete that construction.
I’m also praying that there wont be a number of large aftershocks.
Improved audio coming soon
Published: May 4th, 2012 at 11:39 am ET
- Tepco Press Conference: Temperature rises at No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool, now around 50°C April 13, 2012
- Press Conference: “Japanese gov’t kills our children, still now” — “I am very worried and afraid” (VIDEO) May 24, 2012
- Radioactive Waste Specialist: Would be just a few hours before fuel catches fire in Reactor No. 4 pool if cooling water supply was lost (VIDEO) April 2, 2012
- Japan Nuclear Expert: There are known to be broken fuel rod assemblies in Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 — Large amount of radioactive material has fallen to bottom — “Many years” to get fuel out (VIDEO) May 7, 2012
- Press Conference Part II: Faces scrambled, large portions of audio censored — Local official says there are a lot of highly radioactive substances throughout this city… “Safety measures must be conducted immediately” (VIDEO) March 19, 2012