Title: The Culprit Edano’s Self-Defense: “I Said ‘There Is No Immediate Effect’ Only 7 Times” (Nov.8, 2011)
Upload Date: Jan 12, 2012
Description: This video clip is part of the questions and answers at the Lower House’s Budget Committee on November 8, 2011. The questioner is Mr. Seiichiro Murakami, MP, LDP, and the answerer is Mr. Yukio Edano, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry.
For more on Edano, see the recent Asashi article: Yukio Edano among 10 lawmakers most favored by Tepco in buying tickets to their fund-raisers.
h/t Translation by Ex-SKF blog & tokyobrowntabby and captioning by tokyobrowntabby.
Murakami at 1:53 in:
- Chairman, please tell him [Edano] to stay focused. Your answer is completely off the mark.
- I am asking why you didn’t tell the truth to the public when you knew it.
- Let me make this point clear.
- If Japan was attacked by nuclear weapons, the government would immediately tell it to the public, wouldn’t it?
- This accident is nearly as serious as that.
[...More talk from Edano...]
Murakami at 3:54 in:
- You’re still off the mark. Let me tell you this.
- I have a friend whose wife works for a French company in Japan.
- I heard from him that as early as March 13 through 15, Embassy of France told its staff to escape to Kansai or the areas further west.
- The Embassy also instructed French companies’ employees to do the same.
- In addition, as written in this material, the U.S. government wanted American citizens living within 80km radius of the nuclear plant to evacuate out.
- But if U.S. Embassy had given such an direction, all the citizens in Japan might have fled to Nagoya or Osaka, leaving Tokyo, and a panic would have ensued.
- So they decided not to do it, simply because they didn’t want to spoil the amicable relationship with Japan.
- Let me ask you straight. Why didn’t Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary know about the grave situation when the U.S. and France knew it?
Murakami at 5:21 in:
- Sadly, in 7 or 8 months from the accident, no effort to investigate the cause has been done and no clear information on the effort has been announced.
Published: January 15th, 2012 at 9:47 am ET
- Tokyo Press Conference: “Deliberate cover-up” of public’s exposure to Fukushima radiation and the health problems they are suffering from… This is now Japan’s biggest problem — “Continual, purposeful concealment of facts” — “Media will not properly report” what’s going on (VIDEO) February 22, 2014
- Nuclear Experts: One century before Japan tries to deal with Fukushima’s melted cores? — “More likely what’s left of reactors will be left in situ for 100 years or more” (VIDEO) August 15, 2013
- Official: “Police state methods” used by gov’t to promote nuclear power (VIDEO) September 24, 2013
- Japan gov’t now discussing implementing rolling blackouts — Top official apologizes for reactor remarks April 17, 2012
- Japan Professor: Use of nuclear energy is a crime against humanity — We have to think of this equally as the use of nuclear weapons (VIDEO) September 16, 2012