Physician Akira Sugenoya, mayor of the city of Matsumoto interviewed by VoR, Oct. 30, 2013: “Immediately following the accident at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, I started saying that children should not be allowed to live on the contaminated territory [it] weakens children’s immune system and severely harms their health [...] Children are a lot more vulnerable to radiation than adults. [...] I want to repeat once again that children should be relocated to clean, radiation-free areas at least temporarily. [...] is it feasible to quickly and effectively do away with radioactive pollution? I am absolutely certain that it is unfeasible. [...] Compared to Chernobyl, the situation in Japan is further aggravated by radioactive water leakages. The world has never ever come across this kind of situation. [...] We should admit that radioactive water is a grave problem. The threat that children may have been contaminated with radioactive materials still looms large. We shouldn’t remain indifferent to the challenges we are facing.”
Hiroko Goto, Professor at Chiba University School of Law & Vice President of Human Rights Now, Published June 29, 2013 (At 10:00 in): The second one is very problematic — New residential support plan for evacuees from outside Fukushima — this mainly focuses on the pregnant women and the children. If the pregnant women or children decide to go back to Fukushima, Fukushima Prefecture will offer a new, very good house without payment. And this kind of policy they introduce means that the local government wants the people back to their area. So this is a very not good situation for the women’s and children’s health.
Published: October 30th, 2013 at 4:42 pm ET
- Mayor: Free medical care needed for exposed residents — They say we’ll be ok under 20 millisieverts a year, “we cannot take it literally” — Health hazards due to radiation exposure a concern for rest of lives August 3, 2012
- Lawmakers seek free medical care for radiation-exposed children outside Fukushima February 17, 2012
- Japan Journalist: Plutonium escaped Fukushima reactors as gas, it was a colossal 9,000ºF inside — Can’t be detected with Geiger counter — Terrible things are looming for the children, they must be evacuated yet nothing’s done… This is a “criminal nation” — I’m worried (VIDEO) October 16, 2013
- NHK: Japan announces free medical care for Fukushima children under 18 — Requested by local gov’t January 8, 2012
- Watch: Kids exercise on top of 120,000 Bq/m2 — Situation is deteriorating, many children are sacrificed (VIDEO) October 7, 2012