Published: August 20th, 2013 at 4:09 pm ET

Title: Tepco yet to track groundwater paths
Source: The Japan Times
Author: Kazuaki Nagata
Date: Aug 20, 2013

[Tepco] has radioactive water problems at its crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant that seem uncontainable, as seen in the latest case to beset the utility: tanks used to store highly tainted water that was used to cool its melted reactors but now must be safely stored are leaking. [...]

The tank leaks come as Tepco struggles to halt the flow, some 300 tons a day, of highly radioactive groundwater into the Pacific, where it is believed wreaking environmental havoc. [...]

[Kazunari Yoshimura, an expert in water-related matters, who runs Global Water Japan, a water-consulting company] said if a another big quake hits the Fukushima plant, there is a risk that the highly radioactive water that is presently flooding the basements of the reactor buildings could flow out and further contaminate the groundwater. [...]

See also: Watch: Japan Officials Issue Fukushima Radioactivity Alert -- "The radioactive discharge is out of control" -- Contamination seeping into ocean is an emergency (VIDEO)

Published: August 20th, 2013 at 4:09 pm ET

1. NHK Top Story: New highly radioactive leak at Fukushima — Believed to be draining into Pacific Ocean — 200,000 Bq/liter of strontium and other beta-ray emitters (VIDEO) October 2, 2013
  2. Japan Times: Now 400 tons a day of toxic water is estimated to be entering Pacific from Fukushima plant; 100 more tons per day than what Tepco had claimed — Asahi: Leakage of radioactive material “becoming serious” September 27, 2013
  3. The Times: “Lethal threat” from Fukushima’s highly radioactive water flowing into Pacific Ocean — “A threat to life” August 5, 2013
  4. Japan Gov’t: It’s “inevitable” that Fukushima radioactive water will be dumped in Pacific Ocean — “Tepco has no choice” July 26, 2013
  5. TV: Warnings the worst is yet to come at Fukushima — Deep underneath nuclear plant a massive pool of contamination is believed to be heading toward Pacific Ocean (VIDEO) September 20, 2013

40 comments to Japan Times: Fukushima Daiichi radioactive water problems seem ‘uncontainable’ — Believed to be wreaking environmental havoc upon Pacific Ocean

• PhilipUpNorth PhilipUpNorth

It has been reported here that 1,000 tons of water flow through FDNPP on a daily basis. At present, there is no method to stop any of this water from flowing through three corium lava tubes, and directly into the Pacific Ocean. Pacific Ocean Seafood is something like a $20 billion dollar a year industry. I, for one, do not eat any seafood from the Pacific Ocean. I also avoid any seafood that isn't labeled as to origin. I am not alone on this.
    The utter destruction of the Pacific Seafood Industry is, IMHO, the greatest and most long-lasting legacy of Fukushima. (Not to mention the destruction of the Japanese people, and the destruction of the third largest economy in the world.)

• newsblackoutUSA newsblackoutUSA

Philipupnorth, don't forget all the people in other countries that will die from this nuclear accident. Honestly, I don't think it was containable from the very beginning but they kept it a secret. Kelp beds off the coast of California at Corona Del Mar (Newport Coast) tested very high for Cesium nearly a year ago now. Millions of people will die from this over the next twenty years. There is a book called Deadly Deceit (Benjamin Goldman and Jay Gould 1991) written about Chernobyl and the big cover up about the many thousands of people that died in the USA and around the world. There were a few copies at abebooks.com when I ordered one two weeks ago.

• bwoodfield bwoodfield

"Pacific Ocean Seafood is something like a $20 billion dollar a year industry"… was

Once people start realizing how polluted it actually is from the radiation it will die quite quickly. The problem is Japan relies heavily on the seafood caught off it's shores. Anyone that is from Japan, or has been living there these past few years, is now living on borrowed time.

• Yukio_Tanukio

I guess you meant the Pacific's seafood industry produces 20 Billion a year in the USA. I would have taken the world, international view and pointed out that the Pacific is about 45% of the Earth's surface, and is vital to the lives of just about everyone on the planet. Also, oceans are not closed systems, and one ocean is all oceans, and the atmosphere is very much a part of the system. A quick look at a map will show the minor part that our Pacific Coast is to the combined coastlines of all the nations that border or are surrounded by the Pacific.
      For the US government to downplay this disaster, and not to intervene either by invitation or by force mystifies me.

• LegionNetworkCH

It can be engineered!
      - Dig and build a MONSTER DAM ALL AROUND UNITS 1-4 – you stop the horizontal water flow.
      - Build a shelf at the bottom, water stops leaking!

And people talk about freezing tubes… INSANE!

• LegionNetworkCH

Oh sorry, I forgot that dams aren't profitable if the water isn't released… Silly me /SARC

• CodeShutdown CodeShutdown

companies making remedial efforts will make big bucks off the public tax. Look for Halliburton, Brown Kellogg and Root. Right now theyve had the fuku headlights in their eyes, nervously thinking about their investments, but I suspect extensive thought is going in right now by the worlds biggest players and they will come in at the final moment (too late) with that mega project and reap billions, retire to New Zealand in time to see their grandchildren born with three ears and one eye

• We Not They Finally

No, LegionN, it wasn’t that. It was that DAMS CAN MAKE THIS WORSE! Then it gets hyper-saturated and whatever is left of the reactors all falls down. Then there is a gigantic nuclear fire that no one can ever put out and it STILL gushes into the sea!

But water gushing into the Pacific is “better”? No, of course not! Unfortunately, it’s a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t.”

• jump-ball jump-ball

2 years ago some of us proposed that an admittedly unheard of, mega-billion-$-costing, 'coffer dam' be built around all 4 units, to a depth far enough below the existing corium levels to have allowed the building of new, lower, concrete containments, into which the original broken corium remains could have been moved by remote-controlled equipment into the new, lower, and safe, containments; then the atmospheric contamination release could have been dealt with using a Chernobyl-like Novarka Arch, allowing decontamination work to proceed on the damaged ground-level structures and the scattered rods and other pieces of contamination.

But no one paid attention to the need for any such gargantuan financial and engineering approach, choosing a water-cooling charade instead, and the brief opportunity to undertake a heroic (and deadly for the volunteer workers) Chernobyl-like below-ground tunneling and concrete containment re-construction effort, was lost.

I'll change the phrase from "Wherever you go, there you are", to "Wherever you don't go, there you remain", Or something like that, in this Fuku case, probably soon doomed forever".

• CodeShutdown CodeShutdown

destruction of the anthropocentric-profit-from-kindred-species-cannibalism the biggest legacy… Sometimes I wish aliens farmed people for food using big dragnets, and lamented to each other that destruction of the homo-sapiens food industry of the earth was the biggest disaster from the fukushima accident. But while were thinking species-centrically, if the whales dolphins and seals all die, people…wait… members of the golf club will follow soon enough. Oooh, wouldnt that be a catastrophy

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

If a tank is leaking, build new ones …thousands if need be. But seems something far bigger is going on here.

• What does…

'"wreaking environmental havoc"'

…really mean?

• Lilith

I think this crap has been spewing from day one, and the tanks are largely a P R sham. It is obvious that the country of Japan is mainly concearned with dishonesty and spreading this stuff as far away from themselves as possible. All examples prove this. From letting it flow to incineration, to selling tainted goods. Did you know they planned to build (not sure if they did) "chimneys" to direct the incineration plum directly into the jet stream? How about their plan to "lease" Pagan Island, mine the resources, and bury their waste within it? This island is an active volcano & earthquake prone. How about fishing & fighting(literally) w Green Peace off of Australia for illegal Whale killing (later sold as dog food)? Seems if they can travel this far to steal fish & defend this theft w weapons that they could have taken the time to go garbage hunting for tsunami debris..

• Lilith

Another tidbit.. We are all aware of the fact that ALL marine products are tainted from nuclear & gulf oil, therefore it is suggested by enenewsers to avoid seafood, but nobody mentions carageenan.. Carageenan is a type of seaweed harvested nearish Japan that is used as a thickener in so many things from sour cream to Toms toothpaste… My point is that sadly this stuff is everywhere, and avoidance is nearly impossible. Sure does suck, BIGTIME!

• Holygeezer

Although I have been following this story since it began and knew that would likely destroy life as we know it, I have not been so depressed as I have been the last few days now that the truth is coming out. I guess the lying bastards cannot cover it up any longer. That just shows me that my worst fears from the beginning were all too true. I hang my head in shame for all the species that will go extinct because of my species avarice and arrogance.

• We Not They Finally

It’s true that depression is becoming endemic amongst aware people. My husband and I were also aware from Day One that this was an ELE. He actually “called it” a few days in advance. It was eerie. Sometimes people just know. We learned of the 9.0 earthquake early that Saturday morning – not even yet the tsunami, much less the nuclear disaster. But we knew in an instant, and have been heartsick ever since. We WANT people to have hope, and whatever can be done, SHOULD be done. But we have never felt for an instant that this was not an ELE.

We don’t belong to any church but do have profound spiritual beliefs. We came from another plane; and some day we will go “somewhere else.” I am glad that we can take some comfort in higher powers, but we also know that many people cannot. We are also older, and we quaver to think of what the young are facing these days.

The best is to be compassionate. It makes everything more bearable for everybody.

Also, don’t “hold your head in shame.” You are NOT COMPLICIT, just doing the best you can. Other people being inhumane does not rob you of your own humanity. Stay strong!

• Lilith

Ditto HolyGeezer! My heart breaks & my head hangs low.. It is a challenge to be one who sees while surrounded by the insensitive & the blind as they mock and deny their descent toward extinction.. I have felt like the Lorax since I read the book as a child 40 years ago!

• SS4U SS4U

I, too, an sad about all of this. The reckless greedy cartel just had to build their NPP on such unstable land. Now we all pay, them included. Thanks for nothing !

Watch for an increase in space exploration for a habitable plantet for the elite to escape to.

• Ourself Ourself

I've had a tough life.
    The night only gets darker.
    With no end in sight.

A Haiku. How fitting.

• tirschmann2012 tirschmann2012

I am by no means new to this site, but I just created my profile last night/tonight. Logically, I have never posted anything, just reading the headlines and subsequent comments. I 'enjoy' reading the comments though because they are usually quite educational. I have learned a lot from this website and others since this disaster began. I will be 41 in a few weeks, and this is the worst disaster I have ever lived through. In my opinion, there is really nothing that can be done. TEPCO/Jap Govt. can go through the motions of pretending to be doing 'proactive' measures, but there is no current technology to handle something of this magnitude. I hope I will be able to add some insight over time.

thomas

I reposted my comment from another headline just to introduce myself!

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

Welcome Thomas!

We are one! Enjoy!

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

AB,

Glad your here and that one ought to have a few people spit up their coffee all over their keyboards.
    Bobby!
    What?
    Do you have a copy of that Future Navy Map?
    Yep!

• Cerviche

United we stand divided we far… much division there is.. to little to late

• FXofTruth

No way we can get out of this one, baby!
    You better do ALL the things you ever wanted to do because, everything is going to die in 5 years or less.
    Or you can hope for the best or….just ignore it all.
    Then there will be more pink ribbons and whatever else signifies cancer in everybody's neighborhood.