Jiji Press, May 28, 2014: Tritium levels at Fukushima No. 1 well top Pacific dumping limit, Tepco admits [...] The discovery was the first report of over the limit tritium in groundwater at the wells since Tepco began discharging water [...] from one of the 12 wells on Monday, 1,700 becquerels per liter of tritium was detected, exceeding the maximum limit of 1,500 becquerels, the utility said on Tuesday. [...] Tepco stopped pumping water from the well on Tuesday night, and said it plans to step up groundwater monitoring. The utility is now releasing groundwater from the 12 wells into the sea after temporarily storing it in tanks and checking radiation levels.
Measurement result nuclide of fish at Fukushima Daiichi, Tepco, May 16, 2014:
- Sample: Spotbelly rockfish (muscle)
- Location: Inner port (Near south breakwater) in Fukushima Daiichi
- Date: Apr 09, 2014
- Cs-134 @ 53,000 Bq/kg; Cs-137 @ 140,000 Bq/kg; Total Cs @ 193,000 Bq/kg
The Big Picture, May 27, 2014 (at 45:00 in): Radiation levels keep rising near Fukushima plant — “Radiation levels have spiked to an all-time high in the seawater surrounding Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant. Earlier this month Tepco announced they detected similar levels in groundwater at the plant. They say that the cause of the spike is still unknown. […] Tepco has proven that they are not capable of dealing with this massive problem. The situation at Fukushima has gotten worse, not better. It’s time for the international community to step in and prevent an even more serious disaster.”
See also: Japan Times: "Radiation has spiked to all-time highs" in ocean off Fukushima plant -- Jiji: "Record-high radiation levels have been observed" Tepco says -- Officials: "Cause of seawater spike is unknown"
Published: May 28th, 2014 at 10:26 am ET
- Jiji: Highly radioactive groundwater now flowing under Unit 1 — Levels skyrocket since last test, now 1,000s of times higher — 8 locations hit record in recent days at Fukushima Daiichi January 25, 2014
- TV: Gov’t concerned that ‘unexpected source’ of contamination is exiting Fukushima — Official: Radiation levels in ocean are rising — Record amount of radioactive substance found in groundwater at plant October 16, 2013
- Reuters: Radiation levels spike at Fukushima nuclear plant — 15 times higher than on Sunday at same location — Tepco still wants to dump in Pacific September 11, 2013
- “Big Problem”: Cracked floors in Fukushima reactors leaking into groundwater that’s rising and rising and rising due to Tepco wall — “Can no longer be stopped from getting in ocean” — “Worse than that… buildings now on mushy land” (AUDIO) August 28, 2013
- Groundwater closest to ocean is most radioactive at Fukushima plant — Official: Highly likely it’s leaked into Pacific — Levels “soared” in sea over last few months July 1, 2013