Title: Back to the future for Japan?
Source: The Japan Times
Date: Jan. 1, 2013
[...] The Abe administration’s position on nuclear power generation is extremely regrettable considering the fact that the catastrophe at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, which contaminated vast areas with radioactive substances and forced hundreds of thousands of residents to evacuate — including some 160,000 local residents who still cannot return home — made it clear that operating nuclear power plants in this earthquake-prone country is inherently dangerous.
Japan’s nuclear fuel cycle project has stalled, with the Monju fast-breeder reactor remaining inoperative despite years of work, and the spent nuclear fuel reprocessing plant in Rokkasho, Aomori Prefecture, plagued by a series of accidents. A decision to continue the project makes no sense and is deplorable from both an ethical and safety standpoint. Nuclear waste storage facilities are nearly full now, and technology to safely store high-level radioactive waste permanently does not exist. Mr. Abe must understand that continuing nuclear power generation in Japan will create serious environmental problems for future generations. [...]
Published: January 1st, 2013 at 12:03 am ET
- ‘Game Changer’: Former Prime Ministers team up to win Tokyo election and end nuclear power — It’s endangering the existence of Japan… “Our nation’s survival is at stake” — “Could have biggest influence ever on national politics” January 14, 2014
- Japan gov’t: Agency funding project to monitor online info about Fukushima crisis — Around the clock monitoring of “blogs on nuclear power” and “Twitter accounts” August 1, 2011
- Wife of Japan’s Pro-Nuke Prime Minister: “I’m opposed to nuclear power” — “My heart aches to see him selling nuclear power overseas” June 11, 2013
- ‘Extremely Regrettable’: Fukushima workers report dumping radioactive waste from the beginning January 7, 2013
- Japan Times Headline: “Power use falls; Reactors unneeded” despite hot summer — Group Leader: “Proof Japan can supply enough electricity even without any nuclear power” August 22, 2012