Jiji Press, May 16, 2014: Radiation Levels Hit Record Highs in Fukushima Seawater — Record-high radiation levels have been observed at five monitoring points [...] TEPCO said Friday. The findings followed a recent series of record-high levels of radiation detected in groundwater at the plant [...] TEPCO officials said that the cause of the rises in seawater radiation levels is unknown. [...] 1,900 becquerels per liter of tritium was detected in seawater sampled Monday from a point between the water intakes for the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors at the plant, up from the previous record high of 1,400 becquerels [...] At a nearby point, tritium levels rose to 1,400 becquerels from the previous record of 1,200 becquerels.
Japan Times, May 17, 2014: Record high radiation in seawater off Fukushima plant — Radiation has spiked to all-time highs at five monitoring points in waters adjacent to the crippled Fukushima No. 1 power station [Tepco] said [...] measurements follow similar highs detected in groundwater at the plant. Officials of Tepco [...] said the cause of the seawater spike is unknown. [...] at a point between the water intakes for the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors, seawater sampled Thursday was found to contain 840 becquerels of strontium-90, which causes bone cancer, and other beta ray-emitting isotopes, up from a previous record of 540 becquerels. At two monitoring sites outside the port, seawater was found Monday to contain 8.7 becquerels and 4.3 becquerels of tritium. The second site was about 3 km away.
Published: May 18th, 2014 at 8:46 am ET
- Officials: ‘Nuclear fuel material’ leak at Fukushima — Japan TV: Record levels of radioactivity detected in seawater — Spiked “more than 200 times” at sampling location — Highest concentrations ever measured in 11 different areas (VIDEO) May 31, 2015
- Fukushima Unit 3 steaming again, third time in a week — Asahi: High radiation levels detected near where it was observed — Tepco does not know where it’s coming from (PHOTOS) July 24, 2013
- Tepco admits “radiation levels in groundwater are soaring” at Fukushima — “Strontium readings spike 6,500-fold in one day” (VIDEO) October 18, 2013
- Asahi: Radiation levels spike to record high in Fukushima groundwater well nearby ocean — Trench failures to blame, says Tepco — Million times more strontium/beta-ray source than cesium December 14, 2013
- TV: New concerns at Fukushima; Radioactive material “spilling into ocean” from layer 80 feet deep, officials suspect — Jiji: Record high radiation levels at 18 locations between reactors and Pacific; Crisis far from under control (VIDEO) June 25, 2014