Previous reports on this NHK program can be found here: TV: Fukushima underground dam not working, radiation levels now exceeding gov't limit near shore -- Tepco Official: "The flow of contaminated water into ocean is causing problems... It’s quite difficult to stop" (VIDEO)
NHK, ‘Radioactive Water: Fukushima Daiichi’s Hidden Crisis‘ — Feb. 1, 2014 (25:00 in):
NHK: And now concerns are growing over possible leaks — from an area people had been worried about… The structure housing Reactor 1 is suspected to be a new source of leakage… The detection of tritium suggests that the other radioactive materials may eventually seep into the ocean, too. The Reactor 1 building is filled with 10,000 tons of highly radioactive water… If that’s the source of the leakage, the situation could become even more serious. Contaminated water could be flowing directly from the reactor building, not just from the trenches.
Shunsuke Uchida, expert on nuclear fuel: …If something happens and the water leaks, there’s little that can be done. […]
NHK: Professor Hiroyuki Tosaka… explored the flow of the radioactive water… The contaminated water flows to the left then spreads in an arc toward the ocean. If we superimpose Tepco’s data on tritium levels over this image, they match. The simulation suggests that the radioactive water might have traveled along a complex route and flowed into the sea.
Hiroyuki Tosaka, groundwater simulation expert: I doubt even experts could have imagined the contaminated water would move in such a way — at least I didn’t.
Tepco: […] There’s no single solution that can stop the leaks right away. If necessary we’ll take some steps to improve the soil and ground conditions, too. For the moment we’ll just have to dig more holes and check.
Published: February 11th, 2014 at 12:18 am ET
- Journal: “Fukushima has an Ongoing Melt-Out” — “Is this not the worst possible outcome?” — “Nuclear fuel mixing with groundwater and leaking into sea” — “Disaster never seen in human history and imagined only in movies” — Tokyo Paper: “A situation in which massive accidents occur daily” April 24, 2014
- TV: Attempt to stop flow of highly radioactive liquid at Fukushima “in doubt” — AP: Much of it is pouring in trenches going out into Pacific — Experts: Amount entering ocean “increasing by 400 tons daily” — Problem “so severe” it’s consuming nearly all workers at site — Top Plant Official: “Little cause for optimism” (VIDEO) November 14, 2014
- Japan Times: Fukushima groundwater now too radioactive to dump in Pacific — TV: “Radiation levels keep rising… Situation has gotten worse, not better” (VIDEO) May 28, 2014
- Officials concerned ice wall to “trigger significant subsidence” and further endanger reactor buildings — Risk of more nuclear material ‘spilling out’ of basements due to dramatic change in groundwater — Numerous hazards “could undermine the plant” — “Impact on entire situation” still being studied (VIDEO) June 3, 2014
- NHK Special: Extremely toxic water 4,000,000 times gov’t limit in trenches between Fukushima reactors and ocean — Experts: “Source of contamination for Pacific” — “Levels too high for them to get more precise look at situation” — Reporter: Plutonium leaked out after fuel rods damaged (VIDEO) April 18, 2014