Title: Minamisoma children take part in sports event
Date: Sept 29, 2012
A group of children in Minamisoma City, Fukushima Prefecture, have taken part in their first outdoor sporting event since [3/11]
Minamisoma is about 25 kilometers from the damaged power plant. Until the end of September last year, the town was included in an evacuation zone.
The sport festival at Sayuri Kindergarten began with a pledge by the children to do their best.
The kindergarten says the radiation level in the playground was about 0.2 microsieverts per hour after undergoing decontamination. The school usually only allows the children to play outside for half an hour for safety reasons.
after consulting the parents of the children, the kindergarten decided to hold the event
Watch the video here
Published: September 30th, 2012 at 2:48 am ET
- NHK: Kindergarten outside evacuation zone closed because of Fukushima radiation threat — “No one can deny the reality” (VIDEO) October 24, 2012
- Inside Evacuation Zone: Cattle sick, dying — “We call it Fukushima syndrome” — Severe diarrhea, skin problems, weakened immune systems October 8, 2012
- Tears During UN Presentation: Children trapped in high radiation areas after Fukushima disaster — Living and going to school with radiation levels of Chernobyl’s mandatory evacuation zone (VIDEO) January 26, 2013
- Nursery School: Geiger counter “nearly off the scale” near play equipment — Topsoil had already been replaced (VIDEO) August 15, 2011
- School playground staircase has radiation at 70 times maximum allowed, far from evacuation zone — Equal to 69 millisieverts per year August 29, 2011