Chernobyl recovery officer criticises Japan’s efforts at Fukushima, Telegraph, April 25, 2011:
In a rare interview on the eve of the 25th anniversary of Chernobyl on Monday, Col-Gen Nikolai Antoshkin said he was shocked at how poorly Japan had coped with its own nuclear disaster.
“Right at the start when there was not yet a big leak of radiation they (the Japanese) wasted time.
And then they acted in slow-motion,” he said. [...]
“I think the Japanese catastrophe is already more serious than Chernobyl. The main thing is that they do not allow it to become three, four or five times more serious.”
Gen Antoshkin, 68, was in charge of Soviet pilots who flew over Chernobyl’s stricken fourth reactor, dropping lead, sand and clay from the air to try to contain radiation. [...]
Read the report here.
Published: April 25th, 2011 at 9:01 pm ET
- Japanese experts believe Fukushima crisis is more serious than Chernobyl April 25, 2011
- Experts: Contamination from Fukushima worse than Chernobyl — Many people say 2051 goal “unrealistic” given scale of catastrophe… “Will I be alive when it’s completed?” December 21, 2011
- “It’s Shocking”: We found Japan’s response to the Fukushima nuclear disaster is much worse than after Chernobyl (VIDEO) August 9, 2012
- Study shows soil contamination from Fukushima meltdown comparable to Chernobyl: Kyodo May 24, 2011
- “They lied to us”: Radiation release comparable to Chernobyl — Total core meltdown in all 3 reactors — Worst industrial catastrophe in world history (CNN VIDEO) June 22, 2011