I got contacted by a woman in her early 30s who evacuated from Fukushima (Kôriyama) to the west Japan. She was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and is going to have an operation. She gave me a permission to introduce her note on this blog. We can’t determine that her cancer is caused by the accident, but we should certainly take it as a warning sign.
Third time to the clinic again.
She had an uneasy feeling when she received a phone call from the clinic 4 days after the diagnosis, giving her an appointment to discuss her results, which was supposed to take 2 weeks. She was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer.
The 6 mm tumor appears on the right side of thyroid.
The doctor told her about the diagnosis while showing the image of cytological diagnosis.
Doctors with less experiences could have determined the tumor as benign, but her doctor was the one who specialized in treating persons affected by radiation, and did some study in Chernobyl as well. He also understood that she was from Fukushima, and radiation could give a health damage.
However, as it was written, she had 10ml of Isodine after the accident, left Ko-riyama quite quickly and also no abnormality in her thyroglobulin level is found. Considering all those facts, I should not prejudge but I can’t help expecting that we are going to have a catastrophic health hazard caused by the accident.
As for the Thyroid cancer, Dr. Shunich Yamashita, who calls himself as an leading authority, gives this lecture introduced below. According to him, thyroid cancer won’t increase for the 3 years after the accident.
Don’t we need to rethink this situation?
Published: June 6th, 2012 at 5:22 pm ET
- NYTimes: Doctors want ban on thyroid cancer screenings — “A tsunami of thyroid cancer… Stop the diagnosis… We need to actively discourage early detection” — WSJ: Judge rules nuclear reactors causing thyroid cancers — Study: Fukushima-related tumors can spread very fast, must be closely monitored November 7, 2014
- Mainichi publishes report on thyroid cancer: 30% in Fukushima now with tumors of 2cm or less, thyroid gland only 5cm by 3cm total — Claims cancer increases after 10 sievert radiation dose, so Japan ok (10,000 millisieverts) April 27, 2012
- Fukushima Cover-Up: Extraordinary amount of kids have thyroid cancer — Officials say NOT caused by Fukushima since Chernobyl’s cancers took 4-5 yrs to appear — Yet data shows it started soon after ’86 meltdown… number of cases still rising 25 years later September 29, 2013
- “Thyroid cancer hits Fukushima” — Japan Official: “We need to take a careful look at it” June 5, 2013
- Japan Professor: Fukushima crisis is leading to surge in thyroid cancers… First signs of health catastrophe — NHK: Trend seen in new cancer tests is ‘suspicious’ (VIDEO) August 23, 2013