Live blog: Japan earthquake, March 12, 2011 at 5:30pm in Japan (3:30 am EST)
Footage on Japanese TV show that the walls of one building at the Fukushima Daiichi plant have crumbled, after reports of a blast. It was not clear if the damaged building housed the reactor which officials fear is facing a possible meltdown.
Published: March 12th, 2011 at 3:46 am ET
- Yomiuri Jet Flyover: Walls of OTHER structures at Fukushima plant were also blown away February 28, 2012
- Nuclear Expert on BBC: “Absolutely no guarantee” walls of Fukushima fuel pools aren’t cracked — Salt water “would basically explode the walls, you can’t see that; you can’t get close enough” August 22, 2013
- Japanese Nuclear Expert: Melted reactor cores not in one piece at Fukushima, as gov’t claims — I think nuclear fuel scattered everywhere, stuck to walls — Chernobyl-like sarcophagus may be needed — Nothing has been done, by time they deal with this I’ll be long dead June 12, 2014
- Fukushima worker concerned about ground settlement at plant — What will happen when Tepco starts pumping up 100s of tons of groundwater? May 22, 2012
- Reporters reveal “blast ruined inside of containment vessel” at Fukushima Unit 4 — Walls ‘destroyed’ — Explosion was ‘believed’ to have been outside reactor (PHOTO) February 12, 2014