Title: Journalist who visited Fukushima plants had thyroid disease
Source: Fukushima Diary
Date: April 10, 2012
The Japanese journalist, Iwakami Yasumi is suffering from severe health problem even now such as continuous fever, diarrhea, sore throat etc.. His thyroid test tuned to be positive.
According to Tepco’s dosemeter, it was only 74μSv that he was exposed.
Translated Tweet #1, 2012/04/10 21:29:30
Because I’m worrying everyone, I shall give an interim report. Wrapping all up, since 2 days after I entered Fukushima plants on 2/20, I had stomachache diarrhea and fever. Doctor diagnosed it as appendicitis. didn’t eat anything for 5 days to get recovered. I thought appendicitis was a temporary disease..
Translated Tweet #2, 2012/04/10 21:37:17
Since then, even though I was having laxatives, diarrhea continued, sometimes had fever. had the forth fever this weekend. Reported my continuous health problem to a doctor in March. decided to have tumor markers and colon fiber test. received the result yesterday’s evening.
Translated Tweet #3, 2012/04/10 21:46:32
Polyps found by colon fiber test was benign. It was the third stage of adenoma. This polyps have nothing to do with diarrhea, doctor diagnosed it as “irritable bowel syndrome” caused by “stress“. I have my sore throat and fever today too but it’s diagnosed to be cold. I asked him why I have cold so frequently..
Translated Tweet #4, 2012/04/10 21:51:12
Doctor says, it’s weaken immune system. Why the immune system was weaken? He says it’s “stress” again. I can’t be convinced by the logic that everything is because of stress. My life has been all stressful. I sometimes had cold but it hasn’t been this continuous. I asked the doctor..
Translated Tweet #5, 2012/04/10 21:59:02
He says, my stress has been accumulated and got over the threshold. but I can’t help thinking if it’s because of the radiation that I had in Fukushima plants. I asked him about that but he was full of denial.
Translated Tweet #6, 2012/04/10 22:02:41
“Radiation has nothing to do with your health problem. Only thyroid can be affected by radiation, which is proven medically.” he had always said that. and then, the test result came back about my thyroid too. It reads, as the result of tumor marker, thyroid has a problem. needs detailed inspection.
Translated Tweet #7, 2012/04/10 22:12:00
That’s what I had not thought about. I was at a loss. All the results of tumor markers are fine. Only thyroglobulin went over the limit. Awkward atmosphere between me and the doctor.
Translated Tweet #8, 2012/04/10 22:18:19
The result sheet says, there is the possibility of thyroiditis or goiter, please have an image inspection of thyroid. Is it because of radiation? The doctor didn’t say anything and just said, “It’s only a bit over. not huge. Please don’t take it too seriously.”
Translated Tweet #9, 2012/04/10 22:27:08
I don’t want to emphasize the connection between radiation that I had in Fukushima plants and my health problems, I want to think it has nothing to do with radiation. Some part of me was thinking, it can’t be just me to become sick. I wanted to go to Fukushima for report, but…
Translated Tweet #10, 2012/04/10 22:34:20
For now, my health problem is supposed to be from stress and weakened immune system. The connection between radiation and my health is unknown. That’s the diagnose of the doctor. In my own interviews, I heard a lot of the symptoms such as nosebleed, diarrhea, fever, fatigue, skin disease and heart palpitations from Fukushima people..
Translated Tweet #11, 2012/04/10 22:39:44
I felt like I can understand their helpless feeling finally. What the world is the reason, what should I do to improve my health ?
Translated Tweet #12, 2012/04/10 22:53:25
To make sure, my doctor is a nice guy. very kind and explanation is clear. He underestimates the effect of radiation from what he has learnt, not from his personal prejudge. (Maybe) Maybe that’s also true as he says you become weak after 50s.
Read the report here
Published: April 10th, 2012 at 9:31 pm ET
- Japanese doctor after woman’s thyroid cancer diagnosis: “I can’t help expecting that we are going to have a catastrophic health hazard caused by the accident” at Fukushima June 6, 2012
- Nonprofit Group: “Every single person” we hosted from Japan has had health problems… Blood stains found in almost all of their beds — Japanese Mom: Most mothers I’ve met from Tokyo and Fukushima are suffering thyroid problems, eye problems, nose bleeds… It’s been very surprising (VIDEO) June 28, 2015
- Japanese Author: “Extreme increase of mortality caused by cardiac disease” in Fukushima — Death rate “might give the creeps to some people” July 28, 2012
- Japanese Doctor’s Fukushima Warning: I am worried because I received calls complaining of health problems much earlier than expected July 12, 2012
- TV: “Many young people in Fukushima who are in high school have died suddenly”; Officials “ignore all the problems” — Former Mayor: People are always told “any disease they have is not caused by radiation” (VIDEO) January 17, 2014