Published: April 8th, 2012 at 9:00 am ET

Title: National:Storage space to be built at 2 sites in Fukushima for tsunami debris
Source: Kyodo
Date: April 08, 2012

The state will start building storage facilities for debris generated by the March 2011 tsunami as early as May at two locations in a coastal area of Naraha town, Fukushima Prefecture, Environment Ministry and town officials said Saturday. [...]

If more than 100,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium are found per kilogram of debris, the debris will be transferred to a medium-term storage facility to be built by the state. But if burnable debris contains 100,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium or less, it may be disposed of at a temporary incinerator to be built within the prefecture, according to the officials.

Within the 20-km-radius no-go zone spanning across Naraha and five other municipalities along the coast, debris caused by the magnitude 9.0 quake and the subsequent tsunami has amounted to an estimated 474,000 tons, much of remaining where it is.

Read the report here

Published: April 8th, 2012 at 9:00 am ET

1. Video: Japan burning Fukushima debris — 10 miles from Daiichi nuke plant February 1, 2013
  2. Atlantic: Is gov’t trying to contaminate every region of Japan by burning radioactive debris? “If everyone is ‘contaminated,’ then, in a relative sense, no one is” June 4, 2012
  3. Crackdown: Japanese professor’s arrest “extremely unjust” — Publicly opposed burning of radioactive debris December 14, 2012
  4. 300 times more radiation released into atmosphere from burning debris than claimed by gov’t June 13, 2012
  5. Gundersen: They are creating 100 to 1,000 times more radioactive material by burning debris than keeping it in concentrated form (AUDIO) February 13, 2012

83 comments to Fukushima will start burning radioactive waste — 100,000 Bq/kg to be incinerated — 1 billion pounds of debris in exclusion zone -Mainichi

• kx kx

10000 people choir in Sendai:

Apoteotic demise!

FUCK TEPCO! [REMOVED]

• Whoopie Whoopie

Posted at HP
    New Tweet
    The Top Short-Term Threat to Humanity: The Fuel Pools of Fukushima [David Icke]
    Sunday, 08 April 2012 10:18

• StillJill StillJill

"Start burning"? Now there's a past tense admission in disguise if ever I (sorta) heard one! :-(

• ENENews

It's been reported that Japan has only been burning debris from other prefectures like Miyagi and Iwate.

The above article says the incinerator in Fukushima has not been built yet:

"if burnable debris contains 100,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium or less, it may be disposed of at a temporary incinerator to be built within the prefecture, according to the officials."

• "contains 100,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium or less"

A C C U M U L A T I O N .. A R O U N D .. T H E .. G L O B E !!

• markww markww

They will send the smoke to America as they burn the waste DAMN

• many moons

If they were middle easten people they would be called terrorists…

What is their argument for burning????? Is it a way of transporting some of the radiation out of Japan via the air????

They are already dumping it into the ocean to get rid of some of the radiation….hmmmm
      Looks like they are kinda bring us all down with them?
      So…Sooner or later Japan will become uninhabitable BUT in the meantime they will render the Pacific ocean and the atmosphere a vihicle for the transportation of their aliments to other areas to be contaminated as well…so that many other areas will become uninhabitable as well….OK so here's the question…
      Why are we all letting them do that????? WOuldn't it be better to just evacuate Japan now instead of trying to save it and by doing so cause much more contamination???

• Dr.Strangelove

Japan you cannot burn away your problems! A storage facility and dump should have been built along time ago inside the exclusion zone.

• many moons

Dr. Strangelove,
      That's a good idea, I wonder why TEPCO didn't think of that? Maybe they did but realized it would cost way too much.

Years ago people use to burn trash, now they have it picked up or drive it to the dump etc. cause there are laws in most countries that you can not burn trash/waste because it causes pollution. Now if Japan had a law against burning then maybe they wouldn't be able to…but burning is definatley a money saver.

TEPCO needs to save money to have enough to continue to distribute it among their corporate excutives…those guys don't work for free! One solution might be put the TEPCO guys in jail and use their money to create safe storage for ALL the radioactive waste present and future.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Seems anyone can do anything they like, regarding nuclear waste.

• shiverca shiverca

WFT is the POINT??? Burn it so it goes into the atmosphere?

What is wrong with them????? Has the radiation effected their brains already?

• americancommntr

Er, if they're going to be idiots, why not be Brown's Gas flame idiots?

• Anthony Anthony

Are you fucking insane Fukushima?

There ARE other citizens on the planet you know.

Given the depth of the problems at hand its hard to believe this is actually on the table.

When SFP4 collapses then you probably will be stopped from killing us off through your need to burn away your problems. If it doesn't collapse you will set off to burn till the cows come home, no apologies or consideration as you please.

These are some really fucked up days.

You are either shortsighted, desperate, evil or stupid.

The only important thing to do right now is to remedy your fucking SFP4!

And how about moving the fucking pool 50 meters away or the thousands of rods in it before you do find you have killed everyone in the world?

I have endless compassion for everyone. But this is just over the line and ridiculously selfish with me being on the *shit-end* of the stick.

I think you have every reason to conduct yourselves respectfully.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Nice rant anthony. I agree.

• alasanon

Yes–it seems totally mentally deranged & intellectually deficient!!! I see no reason why they can't build some properly enclosed and sealed dump sites buried ON THE LAND, seeing how it's now uninhabitable anyway. Japan should be a dump site. (and it must be secure enough to withstand earthquakes!)

• alasanon

THEY NEED TO STOP THE GROSS STUPIDITY & LAZINESS, AS IN NOW!!!

• Anthony Anthony

Something but they have to keep perspective that the rest of us are here and we should always consider the outcomes of our choices.

Burning and releasing massive tonnage of radiation to further contaminate the world is incredibly unreal to me that someone decided it was a good decision.

I don't like when I lose my tongue but the issue is like a last straw I cant seem to stomach without experiencing a strong reaction.

Its better to let that crap out and not let it poison your energy.

I hope they are listening.

Burning as planned will make Japan my all time worst global polluter in history. If so, the disrespect in return should be expected.

• Maybe !

Last week I was going South US 1 closing in on Granada Ave, when a black MR2 Toyota did not stop and sailed right out in front of my lane, applying the brakes from and rear very hard to slow down to avoid hitting the rear of the car and hitting my horn, but I could see the man driving saw me too late to stop,… then he STOPPED DEAD in the road in my lane !!!! and just sits there with traffic behind me screeching to a halt ! 30 seconds goes by before a lane is clear for me to go around but by then the car is eassiing away, I pull up beside the car and a Japanese male in his 50's says to me in a heavy accent of his native language speaking English, Sorry ! I not see you until I in the road, I not do again ! Could be had just moved here ?

I think I understand a little more now !

• glowfus

100% ban on any economic activity with that country until they stop this. 100%. oh, let's be rational about this,,,,no, not acceptable. you store your waste in piles on your own property for the next million years. final. can you see a candidate using this as a campaign lie, excuse me. promise ? " i promise to lower your plutonium ingestion if you vote for me": #$%%$$%$ing #%$#%$es!!!!!!!!!!

• Sickputer

Hmm… A temporary incinerator is nowhere close to the filtering efficiency of the $140 million Tokyo giant incinerators, imperfect as they are. Probably close to 10% of the radioactive micro particles will blow out the temporary incinerator stacks.

It's all relative though…the ruins at Daiichi are spewing in the air and ocean massive amounts of toxic isotopes every second of every day.

Radiation release figures are hard to estimate, and comparisons to atomic bomb testing and Chernobyl is hampered by the differences in types of isotopes.

But what if every hour at Fukushima Daiichi is the equivalent of a Hiroshima dirty bomb is escaping into the atmosphere? That means about 10,000 dirty atomic bombs in 390 days. No A-bomb heat blasts to kill humans immediately and certainly there is no carefully planned targets from this ocean-side industrial nightmare, just a steady bioaccumulation of radiation.

The naysayers for the severity of Fukushima Daiichi like to say the ocean is vast and much radiation is absorbed and stored away from humans. Certainly there is some truth in that the istopes could indeed get trapped by sediment over time. Other water-borne particles may float and drift in layers of the ocean for eternity, never touching life forms.

Istopes will be absorbed by sealife and eventually up the food chain to mankind. As fresh water disappears from the menu of the huge human race the next millennia of humans will increasingly utilize ocean water to…

• Sickputer

…drink. Hopefull their water filters will be much better in the future.

• pure water

Be careful in USA! Radiation levels in Asia went down with the change of sesons, The smoke will go east most of the time, Just watch for winds and rain, leave your shoes outside, protect your eyes, breathe only through you nose. Food, drink and rest – just the best ones.

• bleep_hits_blades

Well, we are exercising our fretting and fuming rights. Maybe it's good therapy.

This has probably been posted here before:

EVACUATING: Dr. Helen Caldicott – What We Learned From Fukushima (April 2, 2012) – YouTube

She is one smart lady. First few minutes are quite a delight.

How such a smart woman can still 'believe in' anthropogenic global warming' is a bit of puzzler. To me, anyway. Probababally not to most of you here.

(I await the negative feedback, outraged comments, etc…. at least I am developing a tougher hide. Too bad it's not a radiation shield… oh well. We all gotta die sometime (hack, cough, gasp).)

• bleep_hits_blades

This is what I mean about taking 15 mins to google a topic before knee-jerk-rejecting a thesis contrary to the one you currently hold.

"The politics:

The whole idea that carbon dioxide is the main cause of the recent global warming is based on a guess that was proved false by empirical evidence during the 1990s. But the gravy train was too big, with too many jobs, industries, trading profits, political careers, & the possibility of world government & total control riding on the outcome. So rather than admit they were wrong, the governments, & their tame climate scientists, now outrageously maintain the fiction that carbon dioxide is a dangerous pollutant."

(cartoon of Al Gore, with the globe on a string as the hypnotist's pendulum, swinging back & forth, caption is "You're feeling warmer…"

"Man-made CO2 doesn't appear physically capable of absorbing much more than
    two-thousandths of the radiated heat (IR) passing upward through the atmosphere.

And, if all of the available heat in that spectrum is indeed being captured by the current CO2 levels before leaving the atmosphere, then adding more CO2 to the atmosphere won't matter a bit…

• Jebus

And if you just use critical thinking skills instead of Google, it will become apparent that it is not the carbon dioxide that is the issue. It is all of the other manmade shit pouring into the atmosphere that is causing the change in the total composition of the atmosphere!
      This planet has evolved over the course of millions of years with a symbiotic relationship between carbon dioxide and oxygen. It is a perfect yin and yang relationship. Until man started the industrial revolution and started putting man made pollutants into the mix. Now we are adding tons of soluble radioisotopes and radionuclide particles into the mix.
      What the hell do you think is the outcome of that?

There you have succeeded in turning the topic over to your agenda, but I don't care because disinfo like what you posted just pisses me off!

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

I've got nothing against you personally, I really don't.
      I'm afraid though that you're currently making a colossal fool of yourself here…The laws of science apply, if you choose to accept them or not.

Sorry Admin for being OT.

• bleep_hits_blades

But there have been other warming and cooling periods in history, prior to the Industrial Revolution and its effluvia.

And even Mars has been experiencing some warming, concurrently with Earth's recent warming. These warming/cooling cycles appear to be connected to the sun's solar flare activity.

Also, is it necessary/appropriate to be so emotional, hostile, and discourteous?

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

You are currently lied into denial by a massive spin machinery which is similar to the one which lied you into nuclear.
      All they want is to keep the discussion going and sell more fossil fuels to fill their pockets.
      Really, this is schoolboy territory.

Temperature cycles on Mars!!! Come ON!
      Let's stop here – this is ridiculous and OT and not what anybody else came here to read.
      * sorry all

• bleep_hits_blades

Did you check out/read any info on the links I posted, Jebus and B&B?

Also, consider that Gore is a top level 'insider'. Insiders tend to have agendas behind their agendas and not to be 'on the right side.'

• gottagetoffthegrid

that big storm from last week has started to join with the low in the gulf of Alaska
    You west coasters are probably going to be getting a hit over the next few days

• StillJill StillJill

Thanks 'gottaget',…I posted something similar over on the off-topic thread. I fear you are quite correct,…and,..no one but you and I are talking about it. Hope we're not the only one's taking notice!

• lunamaria lunamaria

Thanks, gottaget :) I live on the eastern side of the Cascades in Washington. I have been warning my family (they mostly think I'm nuts) not to go out in rain or to be well covered if they do. Now I am looking for the best whole house water-filtering system I can find. Any suggestions? My husband will never leave here, so I am trying to do my best to protect my family. We hope to build a greenhouse attached to our house this summer so we can grow our own organic food. We are also laying in a supply of non-perishable food (peanut butter, etc.) If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them. Those of you on this site are doing an immense service. Thank you.

• Bobby1

If I had the money and the space, I would get a whole-house RO/DI system (reverse osmosis / deionization). It looks like they cost $3,000 or more though.

• ruth

This is off the topic but as you are new and seeking help, you should review the methods for combating radiation discussion thread on the right side. You can post your questions there too.

If you have well water this will help as it can take up to 30 years for radiation to get into the underground water. It depends on the underground source. You should stock up on bentonite clay and zeolite and take daily. If you have apple trees that are organically grown consider canning or dehydrating the apples. Apple pectin helps leach out radiation. Get a geiger counter and test everything. Good idea to grow as much food as possible under plastic to keep rain off but you still need clean water for the plants. If radiation counts climb high try to shelter in side with doors and windows covered in plastic or consider building a underground celler to store food and shelter in place if needed. It is possible to reduce the radiation effects. Stay focused and good luck!

• jackassrig

Meteors can can add significantly to the heat of the atmosphere. See "An Introduction To Celestial Mechanics" by Forest Ray Moulton page 61. However if you mention this to the PHDer's, they will label you as a heretic. We live in a time where if the dogma of the church is questioned, you will be tortured on the rack. The PHDer's have to make that 7 figure salary of course at our expense.

• Anthony Anthony

Drug treating radiation sickness shows promise
    By Eric Berger
    Updated 09:07 p.m., Friday, April 6, 2012

• jackassrig

Look at the PHDer's that have been trotted out to convince the mortals that the corium was still in the containment. Most people on this site knew the corium was gone. Then the experts wanted to dump salt water into a 3000 degC reactor to cool the reactor, the salt cakes everything and causes a much worse condition. Salt a very corrosive substance dumped into the hot reactors. HAAAA. I have been in school the better part of my life and most of these dunderheads need medical help. Here they making decisions that may affect millions of lives.

• Choto

Comes to mind is the explanation of Dr.Busby. Scientific peer review, find radiation throughout Japan, and the victims receive no compensation. Nor the rest of humanity, for everything else.

…There's no way to delay
    That trouble comin' every day…………..

• arclight arclight

Government's Street Campaign for Wide-Area Debris Disposal in Kawasaki City (03/18/2012)

This video clip shows part of the street campaign to promote the wide-area disposal of the disaster debris, held in Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture(south of Tokyo), on March 18, 2012.

The man in the middle is Goshi Hosono, Minister of the Environment. The man on the left side of the screen is Yuji Kuroiwa, Governor of Kanagawa Prefecture. The man on the right with glasses is Takao Abe, Mayor of Kawasaki City. The woman on the right to him is Fumiko Hayashi, Mayor of Yokohama City.

The original video: http://youtu.be/cDa6kIdxCSo

Translation and captioning by tokyobrowntabby.

• arclight arclight

Government's TV & Online CM for Wide-Area Debris Disposal: "Debris Hampers Recovery"

This is a commercial by the Ministry of the Environment, created as part of its PR campaign for the promotion of the wide-area disposal of the disaster debris. It was first aired on March 6th, 2012 in a special TV drama about the disaster last year, then on street screens in three downtowns in Tokyo (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Yurakucho) from 9th through 15th, in a 1st-anniversary special TV program on 11th, and has been aired online at least on the portal page of YouTube site.

The narrator is Mr. Masatoshi Nakamura, a well-known Japanese actor who is from Onagawa Town, Miyagi Prefecture.

The original YouTube video: http://youtu.be/NbC3U3zPuN8

Translation by EX-SKF blog (http://ex-skf.blogspot.com
    ) and captioning by tokyobrowntabby.

• arclight arclight

Government Pushes Hard for Wide-Area Disposal of (Radioactively Contaminated) Disaster Debris

This short film is uploaded on the page in the Ministry of the Environment's official website dedicated to the wide-area disposal of disaster debris. It was filmed at the temporary storage site in Ishinomaki City, Miyagi Prefecture, on January 28, 2012. The man is Goshi Hosono, Minister of the Environment and Minister of State for the Nuclear Power Policy and Administration.

The government's campaign for the wide-area disposal of (radioactively contaminated) disaster debris from the affected prefectures (Iwate & Miyagi) has been accelerating these days.

-A quote from EX-SKF blogpost on March 12(http://ex-skf.blogspot.jp/2012/03/more-municipalities-say-yes-to-disaster.htm­l):

the rest is on the you tube link………………………

• TheBowRiver TheBowRiver

Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty

Japan

With 55 nuclear reactors producing about 29% of its electricity,[37] the Japanese policy is to reprocess its nuclear waste. Originally spent fuel was reprocessed under contract in England and France, but after public outcry the Rokkasho Reprocessing Plant was built, with operations originally expected to commence in 2007.[42] The policy to use recovered plutonium as mixed oxide (MOX) reactor fuel was questioned on economic grounds because there are few reactors capable of using it, and in 2004 it was revealed the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry had covered up a 1994 report indicating reprocessing spent fuel would cost four times as much as burying it.[43]

In 2000, a Specified Radioactive Waste Final Disposal Act called for creation of a new organization to manage high level radioactive waste, and later that year the Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan (NUMO) was established under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. NUMO is responsible for selecting a permanent deep geologic repository site, construction, operation and closure of the facility for waste emplacement by 2040.[44][45] Site selection was begun in 2002 and application information was sent to 3,239 municipalities, but by spring 2006, no local government had volunteered to host the facility. Final selection of a repository location is expected between 2023 and…

• TheBowRiver TheBowRiver

Please allow me a bit of a rant as I have mentioned previously, I do not like bullies. These overpowering demoralizing pond scum dung eating POS believe that just because they can murder their own people in mass without someone laying a severe beating on them and kicking their asses straight to jail or execution, incredulously think that their downwind neighbors will also drink or inhale their poison Kool-Aid.

To the people of Japan, your constitution gives you sovereign power over these duplicitous bastards who are trying to kill you. It is also your responsibility, as per that same constitution, to never again allow your government to place you in harms way (I am paraphrasing). This burning of nuclear waste must be blocked as well as the poison entering the environment still to this day from the raging inferno of fukushima. Please for the lives of your families and the future of Japan, physically remove Dr. Yamashita from office, replacing him with someone of integrity and honor so that your local doctors will not be afraid to take care of your medical needs. Next, organize with your local municipalities and leaders to join into one voice. This may be called treason by supporters of the nuclear industry and your Yakusa bought federal politicians. It is in fact the very opposite as high treason is being committed against all the people of Japan by these same officials, who are only in power at the will of the ones they are placing in harm's way.