Published: November 8th, 2011 at 3:57 pm ET

Report of Radiological Environmental Monitoring of the Environs Surrounding Wolf Creek Generating Station, Kansas Department of Health and Environment, July 2010-June 2011:

Sample: WCFV-1-A-005-2.5
Location: Sharpe
Type: Pasturage
Date: April 5, 2011

“Sample contained 2072.0 ± 72 pCi/kg 131I and 503.0 ± 29 137Cs. This was not a result of WCGS operation, but is attributed to the Fukushima nuclear incident in Japan.”

SOURCE: Kansas Department of Health and Environment (See Footnote)

The highest detection of Iodine-131 in grass by UC Berkeley was on April 3, 2011, measuring 9.93 Bq/kg or 268.11 pCi/kg.

SOURCE: UC Berkeley

The Kansas grass had 7.7 times more radioactive iodine-131 than grass from the San Francisco Bay Area.

This is somewhat surprising since California is considerably closer to Fukushima, and Kansas was thought to be more protected because it is east of the Rocky Mountains.

h/t Enformable.com

See also: Kansas air filters had Iodine-131 above highest levels detected in California by UC Berkeley

Published: November 8th, 2011 at 3:57 pm ET

1. Kansas air filters had Iodine-131 above highest levels detected in California by UC Berkeley November 9, 2011
  2. UC Berkeley Nuclear Professor: Radiation levels we had in California after 3/11 were higher than they are now in water by Fukushima plant, it was “interesting” — Reactors and fuel pools still pose serious threat October 11, 2013
  3. Massive gas blast in downtown Kansas City — Gruesome injuries reported — Up to 3 explosions (VIDEO) February 19, 2013
  4. CBS: “Health officials are investigating radiation levels” along coast near San Francisco after finding “higher than typical readings” — UC Berkeley Professor: “Absolutely no correlation” with nuclear disaster; Compares eating banana to drinking water from Fukushima plant (VIDEO) January 7, 2014
  5. Levels of Iodine-131 spike to highest levels yet in Philadelphia water supply — Almost double permissible limit December 7, 2012

45 comments to Gov’t Report: Kansas detected Iodine-131 in grass at over 2,000 pCi/kg — “Attributed to Fukushima” — About 700% higher than highest levels reported by UC Berkeley

• Grampybone Grampybone

I concur. The winds that carry over the rocky mountains will drop their moisture on the center of the country. We’re going to get a lot more than we expected dosages of hot particles. Stay out of the rain.

• Johnny Blade

which is exactly why I disputed Arnie’s presumption that most of it had been stopped by,and deposited in the Rocky Mountains-Chicago area & neighboring regions have had higher than “normal”(by post 3/11 standards)numbers by both civilian reporting via theradiationnetwork.com map,as well as the EPA monitoring posts that are functional or displaying any data.The civilian-based monitoring uses data based on equipment which requires radiation to be VERY near the devices for it to show anything above what can be determined as above normal background levels and even those with single geiger-mueller tubes or external probes mounted high above ground level are showing high CPM count numbers which indicate an “elevated” status.My first bloody nose and bloody mucus I coughed up an hour ago after several necessary ventures into the steady rains here since last night seem to be telling by itself. The news today seems to be a good excuse to eat half a bar of xanax & try to chill out indoors for the time being….

• Whoopie Whoopie

Good God JB! Blood? Dang…dont know what to say. I’m sorry.

• Au Au

JB said:
          “My first bloody nose and bloody mucus I coughed up an hour ago after several necessary ventures into the steady rains here since last night seem to be telling by itself. The news today seems to be a good excuse to eat half a bar of xanax & try to chill out ”

I agree with red red wine.
          Party like it’s 1999.
          Stay well. We need you.

• Cindy

Great, we drink the rain… no one is testing rain or saying on the big island …

• I know one parent who requested to her children’s school that they NOT go out during recess when there is rain or snow. They listened to her.

• lam335 lam335

But Berkeley’s numbers for cesium are also lower than numbers from the same time reported by the California Dept. of Public Health, so either the locations they are testing didn’t get hit as badly or something in their measuring procedure causes results to come out lower than measurements done by other places.

• farawayfan farawayfan

Deposition from the upper atmosphere doesn’t always follow a simply calculated path. Duh.

• lam335 lam335

So was this probably from a rain-out, or was the concentration in Kansas air (at surface level where people breath it) comparably high at the time.

I sincerely doubt that the state was not aware of this at the time. Did they warn the public? Probably not.

• watcher watcher

Wondering why Arnie and Marco only indicate the west coast as problem areas.

• lam335 lam335

Actually Kaltofen’s slide implies that Seattle and Boston were the only air monitors that had elevated reading in the U.S., which is surprising because I think he had one in San Francisco (see sampling stations, slide 8). Slide 18 says “Seattle and Boston air filter had positive autoradiographic results during April 2011. All other USA filters were negative.” Unfortunately, I think the only other monitoring station he had was in Colorado; I don’t think he had any in the mid-west. I would gladly send him the filter from my car (in Indiana) if it would still be useful to him, I’d be interested in knowing what might be on there.

Although Arnie implies that the largest amount likely got deposited in the western mountains, I think Kaltofen makes clear in the interview that there could be many other “hot spots,” but it’s just hard to track them down. For some reason, he just happens to be aware of the ones in the western mountains. (But if you are the government and have a Geiger copter, maybe it wouldn’t be so hard to find them?)

• Auntie Nuke

Arnie and Marco are scientists and intentionally cautious. They’ll only comment on areas where they have definite data to back them up. Still, it means that I trust them over and above most of the news sources out there. No overstatement, no hysteria, just solid, provable facts. If they go there, you know it’s there.

• arclight arclight

Sample: WCFV-1-A-005-2.5
    Location: Sharpe
    Type: Pasturage
    Date: April 5, 2011
    errrrr!!!

Date: April 5, 2011

June 2011

November 8, 2011

sorry tepco 3 months is pretty quick … i can see that now.. i humbly apologise :)

• Johnny Blade

(#1)there’s no place like home(click)*(#2)ther’s no place like home(click)*(#3)there’s no place like home(click)click,click,click,click~WTFFFFFkkk!!!!~still here Dorothy…now where’d I put my brain??…lol

• many moons

I think that radiation, nuclear fallout…all of this can not be applied to the way we think in terms of time and space.

Fukushima is close to everything!

The physical world can seem huge but in terms of how long raioactivity lasts and with the idea that it is in our atmosphere circling the globe, this idea of japan is far away is not a clear picture of reality. In reality the world is one small place that will be changed completely by fukushima.

UC Berkley = YOU SEE BULLSHIT

• Johnny Blade

U C Bullshit!-LMAO!!,I like that one!!~ I am ashamed to admit I had been a follower of their public forum & detection,analysis data for nearly two months early on in the crisis,and later I’d weighed,measured & found them wanting as a source for anything useful-unless someone here has done the math & found a specific factor to use to “decipher” their findings? If they consistently downplayed & manipulate their data by a fixed percentage-then maybe the “real” numbers they’d measured could be hidden in their posted data & it could still be found useful by the average joe with poor math skills like myself? Nah,wishful thinking on my part! Trusting UCB will get you ICU!!lol

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Dear Many: too true!

• Grampybone Grampybone

Radioactive republicans…now that’s going to be one fun red state considering the number of abortions for genetic deformations that will increase due to this. This all comes as some states are tightening regulations on the definition of life. How ironic that in the future people will be getting more and more birth complications.

• many moons

That’s a good point. But if 3 nuclear meltdowns can be kept quiet, I think the health complications will be easy to keep quiet. Autism has hit an extremely high level and it’s hardly talked about. Maybe autism is cause by radioactivity?

• The selective autism of governments and mainstream newspeople is certainly caused by radioactivity and money.

• many moons,
        We should consider that there may be a change in DNA in second and third generations that may be a cause to this from prior exposures to radiation of past generations ! Anything is possible, Russians have found of late that many children there where parents were exposed and appeared to be OK, now the children of them are having a noticeable increase in problems of their offspring’s related to known to radiation exposure’s !

• Net

This is terrible, but I don’t see why you have to throw politics into the mix? Everyone there will be affected- whether republicans or not. Both parties suck check out this link: http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/news/intrnational/2011/10/19/1268.html
      “Executives and employees of Exelon, the Illinois-based utility that produces approximately 20 percent of the country’s nuclear power, donated nearly $210,000 to Obama’s presidential campaign, according to CQ Moneyline. In fact, Obama’s chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, helped broker the merger of two utiltilies to form Exelon in 2000 when working as an investment banker at Wasserstein Perella & Co. Obama’s chief political strategist, David Axelrod, consulted for an Exelon subsidiary periodically between 2002 until he started working on the Obama campaign.”

• jec jec

NOTE” In report in CAPS- the contamination is NOT from US nuclear plant. They need to show the same report..and sampling from BEFORE the Fukusima Disaster. Just in case….

• jackassrig

“What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.” Mark 10:9

• Grampybone Grampybone

If you want to know what low level exposure to plutonium does then follow the workers at this lab for the next 2-5 years and see what kinds of health effects show up. Check out the link where in Idaho 17 workers were exposed to low levels/unstated levels of radiation due to plutonium stored in an old reactor.I hope the level of exposure is as low as they state.

• Grace Grace

George Lucas THX 1138

connecting dots…… must go to bed, am going mad

• Bobby1

I’ve said it before. If you believe anything that the radiation fakers at Berkeley say, I’ve got some swampland in Fukushima to sell you.

• Over the summer I was tracking radiation levels in cities near Ft Calhoun and reporting the data on my blog.

There were quite a few big spikes in beta in the area and levels were often ranging from significantly above normal.

Someone contacted me and told me that I was needlessly scaring people and that the numbers had to be a function of improperly calibrated equipment and asked that I post his email stating the number were wrong (psyops anyone?)

Unfortunately, those levels during the early and mid summer are nothing compared to what we have been experiencing since late summer in some areas of the country.

Iowa and Kansas have had sustained high readings but haven’t come close to the readings in South Dakota, Amarillo Texas, Carlsbad NM, Yuma AZ, and Harrisonburg VA

these cities have posted levels up to 950 CPM beta.

One wonders what the accumulation of radiation is Yuma where winter vegetables are grown?

• Bobby1

The green vegetables were the first things to go in March. Later, it got better, and the focus shifted to other vegetables like potatoes that uptake radiation from the soil. But now the green vegetables from that area are gonna go again, it only takes a few days from farm to your table.

• I tried clicking on the link to read the report and received a message that the file was damaged and could not be repaired as the browser closed…

• westcoastguy westcoastguy

is it time to tuck my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye?
    i think ill party first

• Novamind

I think we may see a special e-bay section for prefuk canned food soon.